Spoons and Flashers

OK everyone, if there was one spoon for steelies you would never leave the dock without, what would that spoon be? As well, what set up would you never leave the dock without for lake trout? Do you use a flasher/dodger when trolling for spring browns, steelies?   

Ok.....My go to Steelie spoons are the Honey Bees (red/whites). Old school spoons still produce for me....Ive started to really like the DWSS Acid Rain. Been very good in recent years.

As far as Lakers......If Im running to target just lakers...cowbells and spin and glows ( very rare I do). If I think there might be some Kings laying around on the bottom, I will run a white echip with a mirage fly. Lakers chow those set ups wicked!  I have caught way more kings on paddle flies than bells and spin glows.

Spring browns and steel ? I run Stick baits and smaller spoons.....Depending on the water color, is what colors I run.....If I'm out on a big temp break, or a mudline, there might be some cohos around. I will put out a couple small red spin docs with coho flies.....I don't really like running too much hardware in skinny water....more of a stealth presentation....I'm sure you will get some more great suggestions. There are a lot of good fisherman on this site. ......Tight lines

OK everyone, if there was one spoon for steelies you would never leave the dock without, what would that spoon be? As well, what set up would you never leave the dock without for lake trout? Do you use a flasher/dodger when trolling for spring browns, steelies?   

Hammerhead cowbells with spin n glows are my go to for lakers.  There is NO BETTER way to catch lakers than the old cowbell and spin n glow set up.  As for steelies, I have a NK spoon that is pink, blue, purple and silver that rocks steelies in the spring.  NK no longer makes the spoon but I found some in the reject bins at his sale a couple years back. 

One of the most consistent lures and colors I've had for steelies has been a 4.5 watermelon Apex. The biggest steelhead I got was a 22lber off that lure. Another color that has worked well is the 4.5 Apex Popcorn. The last couple of years I've run them from time to time behind a 7.5 Agitator. It doesn't affect the action of the lure but brings in the fish. Whatever spoon you use I'd suggest watermelon. As for lakers they've pretty well disappeared in the Port Credit area. Before they did I had one day landing twenty three on the pearl 4.5 Apex.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's what works best for us. On a cloudy day DW Shiznit, Green Eye Ghost, and Sea Sick Waddler are really hard to beat! On Sunny days it would depend on how deep in the water column your fishing for them. When it's high reds seem to work as good as the greens. When we are fishing them deeper around the thermoclines more greens. High water column spoon colors like DW Firecracker, Green Hornet, Watermelon, mixed veggies, Get R Done, Glow Corn. Deeper waters 42nd, Froggy, VQ Green Alewife, and Sea Sick Waddlers.

I'll go old school too..... F3 silver evil eye w/ orange stripe slider for steel.

New spoon --- MOONSHINE'S green shorts is hard to beat!

I forgot about that spoon. High sun that is a great Steelie spoon.

I catch a lot of lakers by accident on a no name spoon. It has orange across the top, silver across the middle, and green across the bottom. I think it is an old northern king.

Sent from my thinking car!

Edited by Chas0218