Ice on Ontario?

Gill-T

I've lived in Buffalo/Niagara area my whole life. Avid fisherman on both Erie and Ontario for walleye,salmon,and steelhead. I have never understood why L.Ontario does not freeze over the way L.Erie does, atleast parttially each year. Someone once told me its because Ontario is so much deeper. That makes no sense to me. I mean L.Erie does not freeze solid from surface to bottom of lake!! So what does it matter how deep the lake is??  As of today L.Erie is 100% covered with ice. Yes I'm thinking of spring Kings!! Maybe alittle late this year!!

I could see it now, tip up spools with 500 ft of braid lol. Light house looks like the wind took whatever was there out to sea. Mike, your question on the deep lakes, has all to do with mass. The more water, the more it takes to freeze. Lake Erie being shallower allows it to cool / warm more quickly than Ontario. With that said, Lake Superior, freezes some, the deepest of the great lakes but because it is more North (colder) then them all. Good news would be there would be less lake effect snow with more ice on the lakes. Rumor has it if temps stay low through February we could see record ice amounts.

Lake Michigan is 1/3 covered with Ice, 1st time since the early 60's I read somrwhere.I looked for open stream water from Erie, Pa to Buffalo along Lake Erie on Thursday to get in some steelhead fishing.I could not find one stream that was not frozen over, even the fast water had a ice cap.Usually you can break the ice out of a hole, let the fast water move that ice, go back sit in the truck for a half hour and return and catch fish that have moved back into the hole.You can break ice , but no where for it to move!With no warmup in sight the steelhead will get an uninteruped spawning.Best part about Lake Erie having full ice is later start for algae in west basin and lots of bait fish to follow ice flows to the Niagara River, bringing walleyes into the upper river for good action opening week in May.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Flew over the lake at about 5pm yesterday and there was ice as far as you could see! Passenger next to me said that there were white caps and I mentioned that they were not moving! He agreed after a few seconds that they were snow spots on the ice. Small patch of open water by the bluff's

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I could see it now, tip up spools with 500 ft of braid lol. Light house looks like the wind took whatever was there out to sea. Mike, your question on the deep lakes, has all to do with mass. The more water, the more it takes to freeze. Lake Erie being shallower allows it to cool / warm more quickly than Ontario. With that said, Lake Superior, freezes some, the deepest of the great lakes but because it is more North (colder) then them all. Good news would be there would be less lake effect snow with more ice on the lakes. Rumor has it if temps stay low through February we could see record ice amounts.

That would be AWESOME!!

• 4 weeks later...

Gill-T,

that's a great photo - where did you get it? (i'm curious what the ice on lake O looks like now!)

andre

Modis Imagery   http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/webdata/cwops/html/modis/modis.php?region=o&page=1

Looks like 2/22 was the last date with clear enough skies to get a good look

t1.14053.1540.LakeOntario.143.250m.jpg

Edited by tlox

Located a couple of blocks from the lake and drive past it every day.   The last few days the only ice is that piled up on the shore.   Still very cold out there and if the engine dies you might too since the wind is pretty stiff out of the south!    What is interesting is that the ponds/bays are starting to have open spots which I assume is due to more sun the past week or so?

I've lived in Buffalo/Niagara area my whole life. Avid fisherman on both Erie and Ontario for walleye,salmon,and steelhead. I have never understood why L.Ontario does not freeze over the way L.Erie does, atleast parttially each year. Someone once told me its because Ontario is so much deeper. That makes no sense to me. I mean L.Erie does not freeze solid from surface to bottom of lake!! So what does it matter how deep the lake is??  As of today L.Erie is 100% covered with ice. Yes I'm thinking of spring Kings!! Maybe alittle late this year!!

I was asked once by some someone from the Detroit area the same thing, when Lake Superior does freeze.

Lake Superior is further north and is colder to begin with.

For your question, I think it's up-welling. But it gets cold enough long enough it will freeze.

Check this link:

http://www.mynewwaterfronthome.com/greatlakesfreeze.aspx

Someone said there were gas pockets on several of the ponds causing a few small sections of open water.

That is interesting.    The open spots look like typical open water over springs so the gas theory sounds reasonable.     The open areas around the outlets have also grown larger.