Ice on Ontario?

Gill-T

I know how you guys feel, I've got planer masts to mount tree rod holders and electronics to install, where I usually park my boat it's no problem to pull it onto my driveway, but this year I have 5ft of snow pushed up blocking me from getting boat out. Not to mention I was just able to see the fenders on my trailer and now they are calling for 6-10" of snow Sunday into Monday. YUCK!! I am so ready for 60 degree days and a start to a spring thaw. The first Sat. in May is fast approaching and so much to do but can't even get to my boat let alone do something with it. Come on spring!! PAP.

I love fisherman! Last couple of years everyone was all upset there was no snow/ice pack to keep the water levels up. Now we're complaining because the baitfish might take a hit. At least your prop won't take a hit this summer!!!!!

I love fisherman! Last couple of years everyone was all upset there was no snow/ice pack to keep the water levels up. Now we're complaining because the baitfish might take a hit. At least your prop won't take a hit this summer!!!!!

Hey there is always that happy medium but never seem to get those conditions! LOL  :)

Today I drove along the lake a couple of times in the Braddock's bay area and the ice goes from shore out to the horizon.   Doesn't look thick but it's there.   Ice fishing anyone?

i was up to the lake last week,walked out by the beach at sandy island state park and the ice was out pretty far,you could see darkness out towards the horizon,which i figured was water.think we will have extra time this year to get boats ready!!!

Here we are into March, Lake Erie froze over, ducks and geese dying along shore line. I hear this is the highest freeze over since '79. I remember '79 when the spring was as cold as the winter due to the ice on Erie. The boom was lifted well into April. He who fished Ontario back then, what was impact on fishing in May?

Shade

Well the forecast this morning was a little more optimistic with high temps in the mid to upper 30's for the next 5 days.  This is a good sign as the average temps for March are in the upper 30's to 40.  You guys never know next week might swing so we have 60's and melt everything off.  I know it is wishful thinking but you never know mother can be whacky.

There will be frenzied Spring bites. When and where is tough to predict. The shoreline fishery will be extended for sure, and it will be a banner BT year as surely the gobies will be affected. The goby is a dream forage fish for Browns and Lakers, they don't flee. They hunker down and try to hide just like a jack rabbit out west. This is a losing proposition and doesn't fool the Lake O behemoths.

• 2 weeks later...

Gonna' be ice around for a while yet unfortunately.

Oneida has 30" plus in spots, and it ain't gonna start to melt this week.

I just hope it gradually warms as that insta-85 degree stuff it too hot, too quick.