Is this possible (auto pilot)

Xxx

I was wondering if anybody knows if this this is possible, I want something to operate my steering without the main motor running, I want to use my kicker to troll with, but I have what they call power assist, I have a power steering pump on the main motor with cables running up the wheel,  without the motor running it's very hard to steer. Is there a unit out there that would activate my power steering and control the outdrive, I have the rods and brackets to connect the kicker to the out drive.

I have the same motor setup and was wondering the same thing for when I eventually get a kicker. Problem is that there is nothing to spin the pump. Wonder if a octopuses remote drive is the way to go.

I have the same motor setup and was wondering the same thing for when I eventually get a kicker. Problem is that there is nothing to spin the pump. Wonder if a octopuses remote drive is the way to go.

I was looking at that also, but what drives it (Electric 12V) I would assume that it would take more batteries, isolated from the starter batteries, how long would the batteries last, I could always start the main and charge them up should the get low on voltage, being in the starter & alt business I could build a high output alt, that's not a problem. I'll go back through the posts and call someone who could help us out.

Edited by pap

Would be a cool concept, PAP electronic power steering assist when main motor isn't on...

9.9hp kicker alternators usually around 6amp, 15hp kicker alternators usually around double 12amp. As long as kicker is running and wired properly your batteries will stay charged.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The kicker charging the batteries is a great thing if you have one, mine is a older Johnson with no charging system. It's a 15 horse and works to good yet, to get rid of it. I'll come up with something!

Edited by pap

I was wondering if anybody knows if this this is possible, I want something to operate my steering without the main motor running, I want to use my kicker to troll with, but I have what they call power assist, I have a power steering pump on the main motor with cables running up the wheel,  without the motor running it's very hard to steer. Is there a unit out there that would activate my power steering and control the outdrive, I have the rods and brackets to connect the kicker to the out drive.

Replace the steering with a hydraulic setup

The kicker charging the batteries is a great thing if you have one, mine is a older Johnson with no charging system. It's a 15 horse and works to good yet, to get rid of it. I'll come up with something!

What is the model number on the motor?  They sell charging coil assemblys separate for the motors.  I will be purchasing one for my little 7.5 soon I'm pretty sure mine is a 81 johnson 8hp.

Edited by Chas0218

Replace the steering with a hydraulic setup

Thank you for redoing your post, I see your from mountain top PA. I'm from Kresgeville PA, just south of the Pocono Race track, small world, I'm starting to second guess myself, I might have power steering, I have a big steering rack mounted to the motor and the transom with all hard lines running to it and the power steering pump on the main motor is hard lined to this steering rack looking thing in the back, if I have hydraulic lines running to the wheel then I'll know, and that won't be till spring, but hey thanks for the heads up!! PAP ps. by then it will be brown season so you know how that goes, ---- it till next fall 

You might look at a sailboat pilot if your just want it to control your kicker.  It would have limitations but would keep your boat on course, and they are alot less than other pilots.  under $500 unless you get a remote.  raymarine st1000 or similar. 

Someone on the site rigged one up a couple years ago but haven't read anything more about it and can't seem to find the old post. 

It might be worth a call to someone who installs them to get their thoughts.