Sturgeon Point Lake Erie

Sean Youngblood

Fished Sturgeon Point last Friday 1/24. Ice was a mess lots of shove ice made the long hard walk even worse. Found a decent path out a little south of the harbor that lead out to the south west which got me around a lot of the shove ice. Ice varied from 5-12 plus inches.  I fished a little short of the usual fishing grounds in 48'. Fished a #3 jigging rap tipped with a minnow. First fish on the ice was a nice 20" Walleye. Over the next few hours I picked away at the perch. I wound up catching about 15 perch mostly in the 9-10" range and 1 nice 12.5 "er Perch were a little small but the eye made up for them. Packed up about 4 for the long walk back. The wind which was strong out of s/sw had opened up a couple of cracks. The main crack which was the path I took out which was 6" of black ice on the way out was open 20-30' in places was about a quarter of a mile long. I had to billy goat it over a lot of shove ice to get off. was glad I had my float suit,spud and cleats. 

Thanks for the report. Hopefully the last few days will eliminate the chance for those cracks to open. We will be going out Thursday. Might try the Catt looks flat for a long ways.

Thanks for the report. Hopefully the last few days will eliminate the chance for those cracks to open. We will be going out Thursday. Might try the Catt looks flat for a long ways.