Tip-ups and Tip-downs

Sneaky Duck

I've actually started catching a bunch of fish jigging and want to up my game by setting some traps.  I have a bunch of questions and figure maybe i should put them all in 1 place.

1.  The DEC's website says we're allowed 5 tip-ups.  Is that per person and if I'm out fishing with my daughter can I have 10?

2.  How far apart do you typically set them?

3.  I understand it that Tip-ups are for larger fish and tip-downs for pan fish.  Is that true?  Can I catch perch on tip-ups?

4.  Fishing an area like Braddock that has lots of bluegills and pike is it a good idea to have some tip-ups and tip-downs together or is it better to stick with 1 program?

5.  My research seams to show that the best tip-ups are made by beaver dam and jack traps, are there brands of tip-downs that are better then others?  (I kind of like the look of the Douglass Creek Outdoors ones, but it seams like a lot of people make their own.)

Thanks!

There's no "right" answers, but here's my take. There's a time for tip ups, but they limit mobility and if flags don't fly, they can reduce your productivity. Choose wisely.

1. Yes, five per person, including your daughter. You need to label them with your name and address.

2. 30 feet apart is typical, more if you want to cover area and like to run.

3. Yes, it is true. However, you can catch perch on tip-ups, so long as you use small enough trebles (#8 is good). You can also catch pike on tip-downs. A reel on the tip-downs helps with that (simple straight line reel, not spinning).

4. It makes no difference how you weigh you spread. Stay close to your tip-downs in Braddocks or you may lose them to pike.

5. Not sure about the "best". Lightweight and functional models I use are made by HT, with big game polar therm extreme models for pike (these are round and cover the hole) and standard "polar" or "polar II" models for walleye and bass. Gambell swears by the black hole covers to eliminate ice build up in the hole. As for tip-downs, there's absolutely no reason to purchase these. Iceshanty has lots of ideas. Or go out on the ice and look. The things to consider are balance, balance, and balance. You want to see a fish fart on it. Spinning reels and really light rods are generally not good for this reason (although mine use light Dave Genz rods with an ultralight spool, as I like the feel, but they're not as sensitive as others I've seen). Tip-downs aren't for fighting fish, they're just visual aids and most of the fighting is done by hand, just like a tip-up. 

Good luck! Stay frosty.

Sneaky - Gator has given you some great info. Just make sure that when you put your names on the tip-ups you specify your daughters name on her 5 and not run the 10 with your name and address....it may not have been fully clear. I also believe that you need to be within watchful distance of them at all times (at one time I believe it was 50 ft. of nearest one). I once saw a guy get ticketed for leaving them unattended because he left his out while he walked back to his car about 3/4 mile away to get something and the DEC guy just happened to stop by then.

Edited by Sk8man

If u fish braddocks alot, a common setup for me is three tipdowns (search crappie guys tipdown on iceshanty) and two tipups (I use frabill arctic fire and they are smooth enough to catch crappie and large pike). You could use all tipups if they have a light trigger and smooth spool. I also swear by hole covers, however I make my own out of leftover foam backer from siding. I will jig a rod with a dead stick in the hole next to me and if nice enough out, a bobber rod as well. That's 8 lines in the water to maximize your spread on tough days. If they are biting well that day, 3 tipdowns will keep u busy and quickly get your limit.

Thanks for the info guys!  Sooo... seams to me like since Sammie only wants to catch little fish I should make/buy her a set of tip-downs.  I wonder if I could have them done by saturday.  Friday's her Birthday :)

Question... If I were to only have 5 in the water, but she's not there and they had her name on them with our shared address... could I get a ticket?

Tip downs are the most productive deal for ice fishing. Small minnows or larger will fill your bucket faster with five lines spread out over a larger area. Tip ups cause a lot of bait to be spit out when drag is encountered as the fish run out.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Just make sure if you buy tip downs from somebody else that they're well designed. The devil is in the details. I purchased three tip downs several years ago from the old Bay Bridge bait shop that somebody had made. They looked like they were top quality, varnished nicely, with a sliding weight to balance properly. Well, I lost all three of them on Sodus in one day. It turns out that the notches in the top weren't deep enough and the varnish made the dowels slip right off them when a big fish hit. I did notice that CrappieGuy has attached his rods to the bases so they can't go down the hole, which is great. I made my own using Dave Genz perch rods and small plastic reels. I'll post a pic later if I can stumble out of the house...sick today.