Fishing around Cayuga - Help a newbie

I live in Ithaca and I want to got out April 1st. I've heard about the trout running in streams, but that's really the extent of my knowledge.

Can someone give me a primer about :

where to go?

what to use for bait?

how long they are in the streams?

I don't have a fly rod. I do have waders.

Thank you.

All of the creeks around Ithaca will have trout in them. Spinning gear with egg sacs or worms will catch fish. Mepps spinners work too.

There will be a crap load of people fishing so just watch them.

Except the snaggers of course! :lol: I've caught them up till the end of May. Usually when the suckers show up it slows down though. You can bank fish the lake year round if ya want to. I'm sure its pretty decent off shore over at Esty. Fish with slip sinker rigs and big shinners or 8 ft down under a bobber. Roostertails in white work too. Catch browns and lakers, why wait!

RR

Single point hooks in the streams.

If you want to use a spinner buy the siwash kind of roostertail (BPS sells them in Auburn) or clip the others off the treble.

I'm with RR, go shorefishing now. Forget April 1, it's usually elbow-to-arsehole.

Buy a boat!

Single point hooks in the streams.

Buy a boat!

I do have a boat, but most of the time I would rather on a whim walk to a stream than mess w/ launching and downriggers on my own. I'm originally from NJ were you didn't have to pay to launch your boat, so I'm a little stubborn about that.

Thanks for the single hook tip.

Are spinners better than egg-sacks? What do you think of sacks and how do you fish w/ them in the streams? Do they float with the current or sit on the bottom? I've always preferred spinners, but what to make sure I understand all my options.

Thanks!

Are spinners better than egg-sacks? What do you think of sacks and how do you fish w/ them in the streams? Do they float with the current or sit on the bottom? I've always preferred spinners, but what to make sure I understand all my options.

Thanks!

They both have their place.....this is just my opinion though.....

I like eggs,worms and salted minnows early on....waters uasually cold...

fish are less likely to hammer a spinner at this time.(wont say it cant happenthough).....but better off with bait.

As it starts getting (warmer) and for the stockies in the inland

streams spinners work great.......cause their up moving around and

chasin.

To fish eggs or bait for that matter.....(in streams)....you simply let it

drift along with the current...it bounces along the bottom (where the fish

are)....so if your not getting snagged now and again add a little more weight......

(1) to get it where the fish are lying and (2) to acheive a natural as possible looking drift.

To get eggsacks to float you can buy styrofoam colored balls or beads

and them to your eggsacks if and while tying them....1 or 2 will do ya.