Public Meetings - Lake Ontario Fisheries - State of the Lake

BlueEye

Our 2014 public meetings on the status of Lake Ontario fisheries are scheduled as follows:

Monday, March 3; 7:00-9:30 PM
Rochester Institute of Technology Imaging Sciences Building

Thursday, March 136:30-9:00 PM
Cornell Cooperative Extension building, Lockport

Tuesday, March 18; 7:00-9:30 PM
DEC Training Academy, Pulaski

These are the DEC's annual "State of the Lake " Public meetings, where the various DEC, USFWS etc Biologists report on the state of the fishery and update the public on any new issues, etc.

The public is strongly encouraged to attend.  To some degree, the DEC uses the number of attendees as a measure of the public's interest in the fishery.

Tim

Tim is 100% correct. The DEC has asked us at various meetings to encourage as many attendees as we can. A poor showing is seen as indifference. Unfortunately, when fishing is good the meetings are poorly attended and this sends a bad message at a time when the DEC is having a hard time getting funding and replacing staff. Mark your calendars for the nearest one.

For anyone who hasn't been in the past, I was on the fence about going a few years back and was very glad I did. Interesting information, well presented and knowing it helps to have a full room are the reasons I make every effort to go each year.

Last years presentation was shortened a bit and the discussion - question/answer period was lengthened which made for a very informative two-way session.  I hope everyone can attend one of them.  I always do.  For anyone that doesn't know the USGS is highly involved in this and usually presents great information that lets us know what's going on in the lake...preyfish etc.

Tim - why don't you email Steve Lapan and see if they can reschedule. 

Tom B.

(LongLine)

I would like to  attend however its  a 7 hour ride  for me. Do they they have a report that they put out that  I could recieve a copy or find it on line ? I have attended for over30 years  here in New Hampshire We have learned well  to mis manage our natural resourses  over here.

Last years presentation was shortened a bit and the discussion - question/answer period was lengthened which made for a very informative two-way session. I hope everyone can attend one of them. I always do. For anyone that doesn't know the USGS is highly involved in this and usually presents great information that lets us know what's going on in the lake...preyfish etc.

Tim - why don't you email Steve Lapan and see if they can reschedule.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

I already did. Since they've already issued the press releases, etc, they're kind of locked into the published dates for this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app