short copper/wire setup?

looking foward to fishing browns this spring and have been doing alot of reading about fishing for them.in regaurds to spoons and stick baits,i have read that sometimes you have to ad weight to spoons and even flasher/flies for coho if they are out a little deeper.i know you can put them on short dipseys and shallow riggers,but what about short copper or wire off the boards or flat lined down the chute,instead of weights,seems to me it would be a little more "stealthy".would have to run maybe a 30 foot leader of say 10lb mono and some mono backing for the clips on the boards???havent read anyone doing this and was just wondering,thanks in advance.

Yup, I have 50',100',and 200' coppers. Last year my first king came on one of my 100'coppers. But for bts lead core is better IMHO. Good Luck

Capt Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

short lead cores are my favorite rods i use them for browns in the spring and they catch most of my fish running spoons.  i fish seneca the rest of the year and the short cores produce fish year round you can also run them as a SWR on a rigger if fish are real deep but i have better luck running them near the surface

I would suggest running braid backer so you can fit more backing on your reel and just splice in 6-10 ft of mono to hook the release to. You can use either a willis knot or small QUALITY inline swivels.  I think short cores are a better weapon because they are a little easier to manage and I believe they "sweep" the water column a little better on turns partially due to the buoyancy of the Dacron sheath.

ive never used lead core and have some copper left over from last year,so i thought i would try it,but maybe i buy some lead core to try.i have some old penn level winds from my days of fishing for blues and bass in the salt.i think they would be fine for short copper or lead core.