Question about stringers What would happen?

Xxx

First off, before joining this site I had no idea about stringers going bad, I always bought old boats and repaired a lot of bad floors and transoms, but never, until the boat I have know replaced the stringers. I bought a  1979 Sea Ray Seville 18fter with a inline 4cyl. it was in a guys back yard, so I stopped and asked him if would like to sell the boat and he said yes, how about $ 500.00 SOLD! so I had go home and get a air tank to blow up the tires. Now getting to the stringers I had to shovel 2ft of snow out off the boat and put the boat in the garage because the bilge area was filled with ice up to the motor, which we later found out that the timing chain was rusted away at the bottom, getting back to the stringers again, I replaced the whole floor system and well looked at the stringers they didn't seam soft, but never really inspected them thoroughly, and used that boat for years, out to lake Erie in waves that one should of had their head examined, and on Ontario in 3fters, used this boat till I bought the one I own now. What would happen or what should you look for if the stringer are bad?  Will it start to crack the outer fiberglass or will the boat bust in half, what signs should one look for should this happen. Just curios as to what happens if someone should buy a boat with bad stringers and use it not knowing the stringers are bad??  Thanks I think this is something people should be made aware of. PAP. 

Your engine will start moving around and lose alignment with drive unit. More ugliness from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

This stuff, along with the engine coupler failing, the outdrive gears will fail, all kinds of bad stuff due to the alignment being off and constantly changing. Stress cracks will begin to appear in the surrounding fiberglass, indicating that there is flex going on due to the stringer support system being compromised.

My Gimbal bearing and engine coupler went bad leading us to find rotted stringers in my boat.  Drill a hole in the stringers to see if the wood is rotted.  If they are not, simply fill the hole with resin.  If they are, have fun putting new ones in. 

What Gambler said^^^

I just did my bulkheads, fortunately I have strong stringers still. If youre investing in a new boat, always invest in a surveyor. They will find every possible flaw in a vessel. Worth every penny.

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

i have a friend who got a Grady White with a bad transom, he knew this when he bought it, then he dug in and found the stringers and every other piece of wood was shot, needless to say he separated the top of the boat from the bottom and has been rebuilding and glassing everything in there, his thought is when he gets it done he'll know exactly what he will have and its a Grady White. :happy2:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Theres a couple things you can do to check it out.  Pull the bolts holding the engine down and see if there wet or have a moldy smell to them or if wood comes out with them when you pull the bolts.  Could be dry rotted.   Also go along the entire length of the stringer and tap the tops and sides with a hammer and see if you have a good sound. They should sound pretty solid.  Any dead sound is usually an indication of delamination.