Canandaigua perch fishing 1-31-14

Sk8man

My son Mark and I went out about 9AM this morning on the east side and fished until 6:30 PM with pretty steady action all day. Started in 5 ft water because we saw school of perch through a clear patch of ice. We caught about 12 in there and then moved out deep because of "dinkitis" :lol:  We went out to 14 ft and I fished the same hole all day despite drilling a bunch of holes when we arrived. We jigged with waxies and spikes mainly. We caught over 100 plus dinks apiece during the action and threw them back as we went along. We ended up with 84 perch altogether (my son limited out) ...I kept 34 including a nice jumbo in the last hour. Mark caught a keeper pickerel and  I caught a sucker of all things on my jig which I threw back. I took a few pics of my fish earlier when it was light but Mark was in his hut so I didn't get any of his. The biggest of my perch was  about 14 1/2 inches

post-145411-0-65748000-1391216118_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-23525700-1391216144_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-88995300-1391216166_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Thanks Mark. It was all refrozen chunked up stuff so it varied from about 5 inches to 10 or more...some was a little "spooky" though :)

ontherise - spooky because of some clear spots mixed with chunked up ice with multiple fractures that have frozen in many places...it's like walking on refrozen ice bergs turned up on edge and very rough surface.

Thanks guys....a fun day even with my kid kicking my butt on keepers :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

Hey Jimski just to underscore the great point you made regarding the importance of taking kids fishing.....the "kid" I referred to is 35 years old and has fished with me since age 2 1/2 years old. He has been my fishing partner since that introduction and unfortunately I taught him too well because he out jigs me all the time now :lol:  Fishing is a great "common bond" for kids and parents and can make a huge difference in family relationships because it is REAL quality time spent together in pursuit of a common goal and a true SHARING of the experience.

Edited by Sk8man

Hey guys I just went by Butler Road a little while ago on the way back from town and there were two fire trucks and all sorts of rescue folks there. The shore ice is all broken up....not sure what either happened or is going on but a whole bunch of huts out there entered the lake at that point and is now open water.Les

I think  folks will have to come back in from a different place than in front of Butler or get wet because it is open water there now.

Edited by Sk8man

I just returned about an hour ago. Fished the east side from 8 -47 ft of water jigging. Only managed a few perch and one pickerel. Three guys I talked to on the way out caught a dozen or so early in the AM then they shut off. A lot of huts but most of the folks that quit when I did did about the same as me. The perch seemed to be hitting minnows today and in fact the perch I cleaned Saturday all had either partially digested minnows or nothing at all. 90 percent were females too. The water is crystal clear and I could see bottom clearly in 25 ft. There were quite a few huts out there way north of me.

A lot of those dudes at the northeast side were Menonites as were most of the people fishing on Keuka yesterday and they had what looked like all brand new equipment including power augers.... A couple guys I saw cutting holes in close today with an axe....tough going in 10 inches of ice :)