Any Suggestions on Fishfinder setup that will mark fish/bait at speed

mcny

I could never get my Humminbird 597 to mark fish/bait much over trolling speed. I have purchased a Garmin 550C because I have heard really good things about them from a couple of guys. I really want to be able to Mark bait and fish at 10-20 mph. Does anyone have any  suggestions either on how to setup either of my current units or another fish finder that will work for me? Does a different transducer help? transducer location? Is it transducer angle? Thanks in advance for any help.

The problem with almost any fish finder that you can find is the "gain" or sensitivity. What is great for trolling at 3mph is just snow at 10 mph. The moment you go into search mode you have to turn down your gain because at higher speeds you get way to much info streaming onto your screen and all you see is snow and a million fish. which may in fact be very accurate information but at the same time way too much information.

mcny,   I have a Garmin 550c and love it. Im able to locate bottom at 20mph and pick up good fish signals between 12 & 15 mph. It all has to do with correct transducer placement. It took 2 or 3 times out and that many tweeks in positioning of transducer. Place transducer on starboard side of motor and at least 3 to 5 inches min. from edge of prop. I found getting transducer below bottom of boat made biggest difference, 3/8 - 1/2 inch below botom of boat. I mark beautiful arches with this unit.         

Thanks for the info.

Bulletny. Why Starboard side?

What about through hull transducer mounting. I know on one of my fathers boats back in the 80's he mounted the transducer to the inside of the hull with epoxy. Is that a better option?

Transducer location and type will probably make the biggest difference for you.

If you only want a transducer to mark bottom and give you a depth reading then epoxying it to your hull will be fine. If you want to mark bait and fish then my experience is you don't want to go that route.

Transom mounting makes it hard for a transducer to get a good clean read when on plane.

Your best option for marking bait and fish at speeds above trolling is a thru hull transducer. Location is key. You want somewhere within 12" or so of your keel far enough back that it stays in the water all the time and as far from strakes as you can get. You don't have the freedom of trial and error with location like you do when transom mounting but if you do some research and get it right which is very feasible you'll love it. I have been watching my graph at 25mph several times marked bait and hooks doubled back setup and popped fish. It isn't always that easy in fact most times it isn't but when it all comes together you feel like a hero.

Here are some pictures of my graph showing the riggers and fish. You can see my weights, releases, and even the auto stop beads. I have an airmar ss264 transducer.

This is on an lowrance HDS 8

post-154343-13913837037865_thumb.jpg

Here is the same transducer showing a fish following my rigger on my Simrad NSS 8. I can play with the gain to clear some of the clutter up but had not in this image. Just took it to send to a buddy.

post-154343-13913838605367_thumb.jpg

I know that isn't at speeds over 10mph but atleast shows you what it is capable of.

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Edited by bayofquintecharters

Wow both those screens are great. Sounds like I will stick with transom mount at this point but when I setup my next boat through hull is probably the way to go. thanks to everyone for the info.

• 2 weeks later...

Transducer location and type will probably make the biggest difference for you.

If you only want a transducer to mark bottom and give you a depth reading then epoxying it to your hull will be fine. If you want to mark bait and fish then my experience is you don't want to go that route.

Transom mounting makes it hard for a transducer to get a good clean read when on plane.

Your best option for marking bait and fish at speeds above trolling is a thru hull transducer. Location is key. You want somewhere within 12" or so of your keel far enough back that it stays in the water all the time and as far from strakes as you can get. You don't have the freedom of trial and error with location like you do when transom mounting but if you do some research and get it right which is very feasible you'll love it. I have been watching my graph at 25mph several times marked bait and hooks doubled back setup and popped fish. It isn't always that easy in fact most times it isn't but when it all comes together you feel like a hero.

Here are some pictures of my graph showing the riggers and fish. You can see my weights, releases, and even the auto stop beads. I have an airmar ss264 transducer.

This is on an lowrance HDS 8

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByLake Ontario United1391383702.372564.jpg

Here is the same transducer showing a fish following my rigger on my Simrad NSS 8. I can play with the gain to clear some of the clutter up but had not in this image. Just took it to send to a buddy.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByLake Ontario United1391383859.538251.jpg

I know that isn't at speeds over 10mph but atleast shows you what it is capable of.

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Cool stuff!!  But were you really listeneing to Adele?  :puke: