Black Lake

Xxx

My uncles and friends, were fishing on Black Lake from last Thursday until Friday afternoon, Meaning 8 days, my uncle Dave said it was one of the best trips he had in years, they drilled 5 holes 8" with a power auger for the tip ups and he bought this new hand auger that has a bit on that actually pulls the bit through the ice. He said he can drill 1.5 holes to the power auger 1, anyway they had a shanty out on the ice with a wood stove in it and that he had to go out side to cool off, the perch fishing was great with 10 perch over 14" and a bunch 9 to10" but they put them back, disappointing was the crappie fishing they couldn't get where they wanted to go because the Amish were there in full force (he did mention that they "aint" bashful they take just about whatever hit the ice) The pike fishing was fantastic with the biggest 29" he claimed that it was nonstop action all day with all fish released except 10 of the 14" perch and 1, 28" pike that was hooked to hard they didn't think it would make it. The Ice was 20" thick, people were driving their trucks on the lake. And as far the Ice auger he wanted to say the first 2 maybe 3 holes he could keep up but after that forget about it the power auger will win. He is going up to Maine in a few week where it's hand auger only and 6" hole is allowed, so he was a testing it out and he was very pleased with it. Maybe next year he said I would be able to go along.  he said to tell all LOU members if they can get to the lower end the crappie bite was on just couldn't get to where they wanted to go, and also there is about 10" of snow and makes for a hard and long pull if you don't have a snowmobile or a 4x4 four wheeler. PAP

Edited by pap

7 of us are heading up for our annual black lake trip on the 16th. We always do well on the crappies up there with fish up to 15". Never seen a 14" perch from black. They are a little small on average, at least where we fish, but plentiful. Always get a few small pike and some bonus bass. It's my favorite trip of the year.

7 of us are heading up for our annual black lake trip on the 16th. We always do well on the crappies up there with fish up to 15". Never seen a 14" perch from black. They are a little small on average, at least where we fish, but plentiful. Always get a few small pike and some bonus bass. It's my favorite trip of the year.

My uncle has a friend that at one time owned most of the shore waters in an area of the Black lake, I didn't think to ask what shore, over the years he sold the land as it went up in price and still owns a large portion of shore land and he has a huge house on the water, Dave said the whole front is glass? maybe you took notice to his house and the Ice shanty is his also, this guy knows the lake and said it is unusual to catch 10 over 14" but has caught them 14" here and there, must have been on a school of the big babies. Dave did mention they caught a lot around 8-10" and then 12"ers and then 12"ers and 14"ers mixed in and they kept 10 of the 14"ers. With a lot of action on the tip ups with the pike, he did also say that they wish they could of drilled the holes for the tip ups further away from the Ice shanty but he said you can only drill them so far away from where you are, something like it would be an unattended tip up and the law is always there amongst the fisherman!  OH buy the way GOOD LUCK up there, and may a 14" perch come your way, I'll try to touch base with Dave and ask him where they caught the perch. The old guy that goes with them is named Dave also and owns over 100 acres of property on the east shore about a 1/8 mile above the cause way. He has cabins he rents during the summer months, I asked Dave about the winter time and he said no, he doesn't rent the cabins in the winter. After you go over the cause way on the right is a road to the right called Mitchel road which was named after him (David Mitchel) and all his cabins are on that road, maybe you could contact David Mitchel for access to different areas of the lake. Maybe your all set anyway. East shore 1/8 mile above causeway for the bigger perch

Edited by pap