Walleye LOU all get together

justtracytrolling

Well, I tried last year to get us walleye guys together without much luck, but I thought Id try again this year. We have alot more time to plan this year. I suggested Oneida last year and there wasnt much interest. Im leaning towards Otisco this year because of the number of guys that have shown interest in the bigger fish Otisco holds. So I NEED some feedback and ideas if we are gonna do this. If we can put this together I think we would all learn a few things! This isnt really a fishing tournament as much as a get together. I get a lot of pms about fishing Otisco...here's your chance to learn something about targetting big walleye and meet fellow fisherman.

First we need a location: I think camping/lodging is necessary and big water is out as its tough to get good weather and many guys arent setup for big water.

Second a date: Keep in mind spring and fall the best fishing is often casting in the dark, and summer is typically trolling.

Third a format: biggest walleye, heaviest limit, etc

Dont be bashful, speak up and lets make this happen

justin

Well, I tried last year to get us walleye guys together without much luck, but I thought Id try again this year. We have alot more time to plan this year. I suggested Oneida last year and there wasnt much interest. Im leaning towards Otisco this year because of the number of guys that have shown interest in the bigger fish Otisco holds. So I NEED some feedback and ideas if we are gonna do this. If we can put this together I think we would all learn a few things! This isnt really a fishing tournament as much as a get together. I get a lot of pms about fishing Otisco...here's your chance to learn something about targetting big walleye and meet fellow fisherman.

First we need a location: I think camping/lodging is necessary and big water is out as its tough to get good weather and many guys arent setup for big water.

Second a date: Keep in mind spring and fall the best fishing is often casting in the dark, and summer is typically trolling.

Third a format: biggest walleye, heaviest limit, etc

Dont be bashful, speak up and lets make this happen

justin

I'm in where ever when ever!! Otisco, sounds good to me I never fished that lake so that would be something different, I will have my boat up at the Black River Camp Grounds by the first week of May, but can trailer back down to Otisco should this happen. Thanks JT for trying for round 2 of the walleye guys. I know my uncles would come with me so there would be 3 of us.

Edited by pap

I think Otisco would be a great venue. It is the only Finger Lake that I have never fished....I'm up for it....would be a nice get together...summertime camping and trolling would be great. Les

Edited by Sk8man

Since we're planning on hitting Otisco anyways.. we'd definitely be interested in a get-together! My preference is summertime trolling.. but I'll fish and party almost anytime and anywhere. Justin.. as I mentioned before.. I'll be trying to pry info out of you! Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

Since we're planning on hitting Otisco anyways.. we'd definitely be interested in a get-together! My preference is summertime trolling.. but I'll fish and party almost anytime and anywhere. Justin.. as I mentioned before.. I'll be trying to pry info out of you! Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

If summer time is trolling, can they be caught during the day or is it trolling at night, I can't see fifteen boats on that small of a lake trolling with boards out and not getting into a knotted up mess. I'm geared to troll and if it can be done I'm all for it.

It seems like summer would be best. Id say an hour before sunrise till around 3pm would give us time to weigh in, have a bbq and still have time for an evening troll for those of us who never get enough or anybody who wants to go out with me. The first 3 hours and last 3 hours are by far the best times. Id recommend saturday over sunday due to less boaters. Anybody not camping will want to be there early to launch before the bass guys. I think there is enough room on the water for us as the fish are spread out, but campsites and cabins are limited. I propose july 19th. Walleyes will be well into the summer pattern,we should still be getting browns then, its an excellent time to get a big tiger, and the bass tournaments last season had their biggest bags right at that time. We should probably just weigh the biggest eye from each boat as a 3 fish limit is a tall order for most. Should take a 7-10 pounder to win! Just so we are clear this is a put and take fishery and we will be keeping the big girls!! As soon as we commit to a date and we get an idea of how many boats we will have I can reserve the pavilion for us. Anyone camping should get a slip.

An important thing to remember about Otisco is there are big tiger muskies and you should have an oversize net, long pliers, and some idea on handling these fish. Heavier leaders are a must too as these tigers can easily engulf a the biggest walleye lures. If you use harnesses this is not as much of a concern.

Chris,

You wont have to pry hard! Besides its easy...anything works as long its a fast moving Rapala in perch!lol

justin

Sounds good to me, I'd like to settle on a date, but keep in mind the bass tourney. guys don't want to be there along with them, just a heads up on their outings on the lake, I have a Canadian trip planned for that week, but I have contacted the guy 2 times and was supposed to of had received paper work by now, I don't think if he would send the paper work now I would go, kind of leery of a guy like that, and this is a definite thing, I would be bringing my 2 uncles so I would like to rent a cabin and a slip for the old fellows not to mention I'm not in the best of condition, If I have to I will be tent ready, but prefer a cabin. Thanks again JT I'm actually excited about it, especially to meet LOU guys, I got to talk to Chas from LOU and supposed to go out with him, and supposed to go out with FleetTracker this year and on an outing out of Henderson this summer, 7-8 of us are going out this summer, so this would be a very cool event. Thanks to all that participate. :yes:  :beer:  :beer: PS, maybe a little info on speed, I remember you talking speeds that are unheard of in other lake conditions. LOL PAP.

Edited by pap

We can do the weekend before or after, Ill be up there. As far as the bass tourneys go there is one there every weekend. So if anyone wants a different date speak up, otherwise lets go forward with the 19th. We wont be fishing the same areas as the bass guys, at least I wont be. We just have to work around the congestion at the launch...As far as the speeds i troll, its not unheard of, just different. There are still plenty of guys that dont to change techniques, but look at the bass pros, they are constantly evolving trying to stay ahead the pack. Walleye fisherman just dont seem willing to think out of the box, and because they dont openly talk they dont seem to try new things. Thats what this LOU-all is about...learning, sharing, and catching more big fish! I just counted the number of guys that have pm'd me wanting info on walleye fishing, there are 27. So far 5 people are interested...if you want to learn more about walleye fishing this is a great, inexpensive way.

justin

Justin.. I know you're a stickbait guy, but did you ever try harnesses on Otisco? We run a bit of everything on Erie for suspended eyes, but seem to do best on worm rigs behind dipsies.. just wondering. Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

Chris,

I have run harnesses, and have had a lot of success, but that was 2 years ago. Fellow lou member Ronald Sellars did well that year too. Problem was last year it was ineffective, and 2 years ago you really had to find feeding times. The reaction bite has always worked for me...I do like the night crawlers because you can watch em take and even hold the rod and I think you are more connected to the fishing...just my opinion. Im all for 1 on 1 with the fish and feeling the hits, but only if it produces! I have an effective fall trolling pattern, but because Tim and I (tim mostly) have developed an awesome casting program i quit trolling as soon as casting starts. During summer trolling its all about putting fish in the boat. Believe me I tinker a lot trying to catch even more. Last year I trolled everything from swimbaits to leeches.

justin

You know Justin I haven't fished anything but actual formal derbies believe it or not :)  so I'm not sure but that range would be fine with me.

I just reserved the pavillion for July 19th, and good news all of the cabins, tent sites, and both rv sites are open. Pap, reserve 1 of the 2 bedroom cabins...thats what you will want!

Justin

Thanks JT I will do that

I just reserved the pavillion for July 19th, and good news all of the cabins, tent sites, and both rv sites are open. Pap, reserve 1 of the 2 bedroom cabins...thats what you will want!

Justin

I just Talked to Dave & skip and maybe Butch will be with me for the Walleye Get together, Those are the guys that where going on the Canadian Trip but decided to say screw it and do this it's for a good cause and it's a definite thing, I will be calling the camp site today and reserve a cabin as my crew is older and I'm not to far behind in speed, as far as walking ect. will ask about a slip right away also. SO JT and a lot of other guys, July we will get to shake hands and put our skills together and have one Hell of a time, I don't know about food, are we going to have like 2oclock lunch type picnic thing if so should we start a kitty in JT name as far as sending money to support this event or is that to come later as we get closer to the date. I have no problem being the chef as that's what I went to school for. Can't wait this will be GREAT!!! thanks for making me a part of this event!! PAP.

Ill make sure there is at least a couple gas grills at the pavillion...I think if we all bring a dish to pass that would do it. Bring your favorite grill food...I can bring a outdoor fryer if we wanna fry fish? I think as the date gets closer and we have a better idea on turnout we can all chime in with what we are bringing. Pap if you or anyone wants to be THE grill guy im all for it...Im good at drinking beer and watching! As far as format goes I think 50% 30% 20% for heaviest walleye, and each boat weighs 1 fish...assuming we get 10-12 boats, otherwise just 2 places

justin

Ill make sure there is at least a couple gas grills at the pavillion...I think if we all bring a dish to pass that would do it. Bring your favorite grill food...I can bring a outdoor fryer if we wanna fry fish? I think as the date gets closer and we have a better idea on turnout we can all chime in with what we are bringing. Pap if you or anyone wants to be THE grill guy im all for it...Im good at drinking beer and watching! As far as format goes I think 50% 30% 20% for heaviest walleye, and each boat weighs 1 fish...assuming we get 10-12 boats, otherwise just 2 places

justin

I have no problem doing the grilling and the fryer, let me know I can bring a fryer I deep fry (Beer batter) lots of fish at the camp also will supply the peanut oil as that's the only way to fly, Maybe we could all agree on 1or2 types of meat to grill, or if you want to make your own ka-bobs or what ever, I was thinking along the line of Ribeye Steak. Which I can purchase whole at cost and slice them 3/4 to 1" what ever you guys prefer or we can do hamburgers and hot dogs and bring a dish of something. YOU guys decide what you want to do, I'm just making a suggestion to keep it simple. Instead of making 15 different things on the "grills" I will need help, keeping it simple I can do it and enjoy doing it. Lets make it everybody's off the water to eat, and those who want to hit the water again can do so, I'll be one of those guys. I don't want to sound overpowering here as it is JT's show. I don't want to be playing chef half the afternoon while others are fishing. 

Wish I could make it, I'll be on vacation (Oneida) with the family. It's a great idea and good luck, maybe next year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bring the family down for the day its a short haul from Oneida!   Ive caught walleyes on both lakes the same day before, and if Tupper wasn't so stingy that morning I coulda caught on 3 lakes that day.   Ill get you out on Otisco for some big eyes before then either way!

justin