Anybody using auto pilot system on kicker motor only not hooked to out drive

I am looking at putting a panther steering kit model 100 with an auto pilot on my kicker motor, but not linked into my mercruiser out drive. I want to use this for trolling only.  Do you think this would steer my boat into the waves. If I raise my lower unit I would assume it would.  I have an auto pilot without  complete hydraulics & it is only good if you are cruising..... I can buy the panther for less than $400.oo I figue this would be a cheaper investment than changing my system over to complete hydraulics. the only reason for buying the auto pilot was for trolling so I dont care if I remove it from my I/O.

I looked at that unit it cost around $2500. I know that hooking up the panther system to my kicker, it will opperate properly.  But by not connecting it to the lower unit on my 22' Islander I don't know if it will steer the boat not using my lower unit as a rudder. So by steering the boat with just the kicker will it be enough to the boat on course?

The auto pilot has power wires that come out that are revesing to run a pump forward & reverse. This will run the panther unit in & out to turn the boat. I talked to a guy that has the same 22' islander & he use to use a hand tiller. he said he had no problem. But he could not tell me if he could do it in a head wind with 2-3' waves

Thanks for the reponces, I think I am going to try it. If this works out I will post it on this sight. If a person was to buy a used $500 auto pilot & a $380 panther that would be a cheap system that others  could invest in. Especially if you already have an auto pilot system that you can't troll with!

• 2 weeks later...

Last season I had a panther remote steering system on a (new to me) 22.5 Pennyan Outrage. I could not get comfortable with it-and my crew/friends hated it. It is no subsitute for an auto pilot and you'll be very disappointed if you think it is. My previous boat had a TR-1 auto pilot on 9.9 Yami 4 stroke pushing a 24ft Lund sportcabin. That TR-1 was the best money I ever spent on that Lund.. Anyhow the panther remote steering system came off the Pennyan about mid season last year.Repaced by a simple EZ-steer bar between kicker and outdrive. Crew/friends much happier although someone always has to be at wheel.  IMHO boat control is a HUGH factor in trolling that doesn't get talked about enough. The TR-1 combined with the right kicker for your boat are the ultimate tools for trolling IMHO.BTW the 24ft Lund Sportcabin,with 9.9 Yami 4 stroke,TR-1 auto pilot,trailer and many other goodies will be up for sale this spring.

First guys dont compare your heavy fiberglass boats to the alum Starcraft, they are effected quickly buy wind and waves, the problem with all autopilots on them is the speed they respond. I have had 6 starcrafts so im fairly sure of what im saying.

Its not necessarily a bad thing but its different than a heavy fiberglass boat, and this is one of there negatives. In much over 2 footers you need the main outdrive as a rudder as well as the kicker, this sort of calm things down a bit. Once you get into the 3 footers to keep a near perfect line if there is any wind your going to need your main outdrive running as well or instead when going into the wind.

So I don't think just steering the kicker will work like you think. I have a 26 footer now, and use the raymarien auto pilot with a bar to the kicker. I will say with certainty that it needs the rudder of the main outdrive 80% of the time, and when the wind is blowing I just use my main to troll when the wind starts playing with my course, and then its not always very good, most of the time your left to hand controlling the boat. A gust of wind can just effect the boat to much to quick for the electronics to compensate for.

My 28 foot trophy is pushed with a main Volvo penta and a yamaha 4 stroke 9.9HT. I have the panther T4 unit hooked to the yami.

I converted my t4 to a wireless system using winch control remotes. I can control my boat that is 10 wide and 28 long in oncoming waves of 2 feet with no problems. There are days where gusts can catch you and have trouble. I use my drive as a rudder when making turns in heavy wind. The down side to a T4 is the slow response it has on your boat. I imagine on aluminum it may be faster, but these units do not move fast to begin with. For what I do, I could not imagine fishing without it. Someday I will invest in a Auto Pilot, but this is the next best thing.

another vote for the garmin tr1 gold.

I have used the garmin tr1 gold. In my opinion it's the only way to go for a stand alone kicker mount application. It is phenomenal. Never heard anyone regret the purchase. Once you fish with an AP you won't own a boat without one.

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• 7 years later...

i had a 21' cobia glass boat and had a ray marine auto pilot that fits under the steering wheel. it did a great job even going into rough water. we never added a kicker as i was told without hyd steering it would burn the unit out running the auto pilot to steer the kicker without the big motor running. i just smashed this boat backing into the pole barn with the new top standing at rest for travel but needed removed to fit the door of the pole barn. anyway my oldest son said he would chip in and help me get a bigger boat. we got a 26' sylvan that has the auto pilot under the wheel. so I'm looking at stand alone units for my kicker motor. so far the best I've found for the money is the Garmin reactor 40 with GHC. i guess there is a way to hook into your GPS and not need the GHC saving 600.00 and letting you go to way points or tracks. but im not very good at electronics so I'd want the GHC on it. but that unit costs 2599.00 complete with remote for course changes and throttle control. i figure i save 300.00 on the throttle control so the auto pilot would really cost me 2299.00 because i plan on using a remote throttle control even if i cant come up with the auto pilot. the main thing I do is run with the wind or in the troughs for better boat control 90% of the time. now it I'm in fish and come out I will turn around and fish back through to see if they bite.