Propane Outboards?

hossenlopp

Any 4stroke outboard can run on propane. You will have to change the carburetor or injector system. If you are so inclined you can even make it a multi fuel engine.

Don't try it with a 2stroke because the engine will set up.

It is not very popular in the US because there is not much price difference between the 2 fuels, but in Europe where lpg is about 30% cheaper than regular gas, a large percentage of cars and boats have changed over and plenty of gas stations are equiped to fill lpg fuel tanks the same way you fill your gas tank

• 2 months later...

I just filled up my 08 2500 silverado with propane at .56 cents per litre;) with a 6L v8 it costs me 56$ to drive 300miles ;) lpg kicks butt!!!

Sent from my Lenovo P780 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I would stick to gasoline on outboard.

Savings will be minimum, plus the cold strart is tricky on propane. Never the less its not realy optimal for the engine - regular gas give you lubrication when engine running , propane does not - on the long run you will get a ring issues (like a taxi cabs)

Plus if you runout of propane (perhaps you had a leak ) - you'll had a hard time finding a person on the water who have a bbq tank ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

----

And you might have a chance to launch your engine cover to the earth orbit in case of some fealure 😂😂😂

The USCG has a poor perception of propane on closed boats since it settles into the lowest areas  and explodes, similar to gasoline leaking. It does not put carbon monoxide into the area and is used on forklifts in warehouses. Engine life is extended as no carbon or sulfur compounds will  contaminate your lube oil.