Important ice fishing tip....DON'T.....

Sk8man

At Whitney Point on ice a few weeks ago, son caught what would be 25" walleye. Line snapped as I went to grab it, ended up above my elbow in hole, phone fell out hit the ice and slid in hole. In hindsight I had plenty of time to drop the fish and grab the phone. I made the right choice. My wife thought otherwise.

Ok, not an ice fishing accident ... but I think it still counts.

I was thinking of changing one of my trolling setups, so I got my favorite dipsey out, connected it to an awesome looking spin doctor and fly, all while my first mate was reeling in the rod I wanted to change. He took off the tackle originally on the rod, and I turned around to do something. Turned back to drop the new rig into the water. Threw it overboard grabbed the rod to let it out, but there was no pull. I watched as all that tackle sank out of site, as between the two of us we each though the other had connected it to the wire line. It was like throwing a $50 bill into the water. Awesome!

Har we have all done that. If you haven't, you are a fisherman (liar).

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Lake Ontario United mobile app

dont let go of the power agar handle when it  hits the bottom of the ice and the throttle sticks looks funny as hell with the motor and handle spinning at high speed with the blade jammed in the ice. that agar is currently coated with 15 years of dust in my fathers garage.  

Lets see. I've lost many lead depth finder, a leatherman, hook out, jaw spreader, many jigs, a couple jig pole (one when a fish took it down the hole). .Also lost a trolling rod, reel, flasher/fly, and rod holder when a salmon ripped it off the boat. On the other had I have recovered 2 nice lost rods and reels one I hooked in Black River and one in Butterfield Lake two landing nets (one a nice heavy long handled one from Lake Ontario and I was able to recatch a lost jig pole lost through a hole. I even once landed a salmon on my fly rod when I snagged someones broken line. Not to high jack this thread but it would be interesting to hear some other unusual catches and recoveries.

In my 20 years of canoing I lost quite a few rods, phones, glasses, etc over the gunwales! After you paddle your buddy around watching him hammer fish all weekend when you lost your rod you learn to be carful...no spare rods! Since I switched to a boat Im even more careful. As far as finding and catching other peoples gear goes I foundpaddles, packs, canoes/kayaks and lots of other gear washed up below rapids, and

often find the owners walking along the river later in the trip!! Some people dont know enough to portage I guess!

Justin

Regarding the hijacking....too late.... :)

Sorry, for some reason your post showed up 4 times. I was more joking about that then I was about you trying to "hijack"

the thread.