Leadcore Question

I bought a spool of leadcore (10 colors) last fall and it arrived the day after my last trip of the year, so i didn't have a chance to use it yet.  I would like to use it primarily on Keuka and Seneca, and i was wondering how i should split it up.

Should i put 5 colors on one reel, and 5 colors on another?  7 & 3? 4 & 6? Or should i leave all 10 colors together on one reel?

Also, how long should the leader be, and what lb test?

Thanks,

Sean

Do not split it. Use all 10 colors with some backing and some leader. Its great for laker fishing. Use 30 feet of 12 pound leader for lakers.

Edited by rolmops

IMO If they were my first leadcore set ups I would probably go 7 & 3.  That way you can cover more of the water column and see where it fits your style of fishing the best.  Obviously early in the season you are going to want the shallower stuff if you are chasing the fish that are up in the water column.  As far as leader length goes, play with what works for you, but I would probably start with around 25 feet of 10-12 lb test.  Spool up with 30-40# braid for backing with a section of  mono between the core and braid to hook to a planer board.

Thanks for all the replies.  I think i will probably go with a 7 and 3 for now.  I've got 2 downriggers and 2 dipsies to cover the lower water columns.

My only other question is, what kind of rod and reel would be ideal for leadcore?

I would stick with the 10 color. We always drag a 10 color down the middle. Adjusting the length we let it out on the day. If I am planning on running all ten colors I will run roughly a 40 ft leader something's shorter. If you only have one leadcore rod that's what I would do. If you are running it off a board now that's completely different. If you put it out seven colors and clip the core in a release you will break it off eventually. As much power pro/fireline backing as you can fit. We use 30lb.

split it 7 and  3 but on the 7 put in a leangth of mono at 1 color on the short one and 4 colors on the long one that way you can run a rod at 1 color 3 colors 4 colors or 7 colors off a board great way to get a lot of range on a limited number of rigs espicially in a smaller boat.  you can than use either off a rigger as well or even attach a torpedo weight at the mono section.  I love my short cores and hated my 10 color though i did not have the right reel for it.  I am probably the minority but i run a very short leader usually 8-10 feet only works very well for me started longer but didnt get the hits leadcore pulses and waves up and down with waves speed changes and turns longer leaders mute this that erractic action can trigger a lot of striks especially on seneca in the sprig or in the mornings or if you find fish over open water.  real common to find bait up high and the short cores can catch fish

We run two 10 color all year long for walleyes on erie and for steel head and kings on ontario depending on conditions. I started lead core fishing with one ten color. The next year after a few tangles I had a three and five and then bought another ten in the spring.

I believe the lead inside is the same diameter in say the 18 and 27 lb but the sheathing is where the difference is and the larger diameter the sheathing the more water resistance so the smaller diameter may sink a little quicker....at least that is my take on it....the real large diameter (36 and 45) is pretty slow to sink because of the resistance  except at very slow speed.