Strangest thing you've ever caught icefishing

yette66

I caught one today on canandaigua today (mud pup),It ate a minnow rigged to a tip up, never sent the flag up though , I found it when I was packing up, it swallowed the hook pretty deep so I cut the line and sent him back .

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Pan I got it off a tip up but I found it when I was picking up for the night. but it didn't swallow the hook. It had a dead grip on it and as soon as it left the ice it let go. I got it in lake Ontario near sackets harbor.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

After fishing on a guided trip (life time dream of mine) The Bay of Quinte for 4 days of -30F and 30mph winds and a 15minute snowmobile ride in the ski -boos with a propane cylinder ice auger and a basket full of tip-ups we arrived at our shanty 4ftx4ft made out of 2x2s and 1/2 inch insulation, the walls litterley bowed in when the winds gusted up to 40mph and 1 propane cylinder with 1 little burner on it which 1 day went out at 2pm so no heat till 5pm until the guy came and got me, which I got a 40mph ride in the ski-boos, with the empty tank and the auger and the tip ups back to my truck, and all I caught were 3-4 inch perch. You could look down and see you jig on the floor of the lake, this outfitter gave me the green wiener, "I caught the next train out of Canada" LOL I hope he waited all day for me to show up for the last day of my adventure, but I doubt it he didn't care he had a pocket full of American $$ which at that time was 35% exchange rate. To this day haven't stepped out on the Ice.

Pap that is ****ty man. It looks like the guide took you for a ride

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

YEA you got that right!! I plan on doing it again but will do my home work first. I booked this trip from the Harrisburg Sport Show I didn't expect this ride, oh well live and learn.

One winter we caught 13 burbot fishing Chaumont Bay. They must have been on the shoal ready to spawn.They were very good eating. Caught some on tip-ups and others jigging for perch. Incidentally burbot are not the same as bowfin (dogfish) they are a fresh water cod but are scaleless like a mudpuppy.

After east wind turn-overs on Erie we often find lots of mudpuppies washed up on shore dead.  Given their size, color and pink gills I always thought that is what a worm harness mimics....but I have never seen one in the stomach of Walleye so not sure if they eat them.  Anyone ever find one in a stomach of a fish?

choo-choo.....that bowfin (burbot) is niiiice! Kinda looks like the mudpuppy......And that 15 stripe perch is too much. Must of had a problem with the 3d printer.... :wondering: !

Like KJL said, the Burbot is different than a bowfin....but it was fun to bring in on the jigging rod panfisher!! I thought I had a real Big walleye on at first!!

They do spawn this time of year...and I talked to some guy's and they said the Burbot tastes like Lobster !! I've never tried one,maybe if I catch another one, i'll try it.

Hey Kevin......your absolutely right.....I knew that! :thinking: Yes the burbot is a cod family member. And bowfin look a lot like snakeheads. And I have yet to catch any one of those three.... or a mudpuppy......something to look forward to. BTW, I've heard (from Zimmern's Bizarre Foods) the dreaded snakeheads are great eating, as opposed to their native look a likes, bowfins. As I love eating cod, pollack, and most of all haddock, I'd love to try those burbot.....choo-choo.....glad U kept a hold of that over-striped perch....it is really neat!  :happy2: