How many rod do you run in your spring brown spread?

I was just wondering how many rods everyone runs in their spring browns spreads? We will be heading over in April with 4 of us. Do you guy ever really run 12 rods for a 4 man crew. Even with planner boards it seems like it could get messy. Do you normally run 2 or 4 riggers in the spread? Thanks in advanced.

2-3 riggers is the norm for me. 4-8 flatlines off the boards. 2-3 Short cores. 2 Slide divers. usually never a need for more then 12 rods inside of 20 fow

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

On my 23' boat I run 9 rods.  I would never consider running more.....too much work.  Fishing should be fun not a chore.

I agree it sounds like a lot of work. I thought it would be nice to get a lot of rods out at first to get them dialed in. Figure out what colors and type of bait they want. It must be a pain in the a$$ to turn with a 12 rod spread.

What do you normally run off the boards ft. Wise from your furthest to the closest to the boat..? An how far apart between each other would you suggest..?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Depends on water clarity, depth, and bait choice. In the spring in lightly stained water with shallow diving baits we'll run 150 on the outside, 140 in the middle, and 130 on the inside. As bites happen you have to shorten them. Once I get to 80 or 90 I'll pull a side and re-rig. 

Obviously you adjust from there depending on the above factors.

For me it also has to do with who is on board with me! When it's the wife and kids 6. Not that we don't all have mishaps trying to controll a fish behind the boat but kids and inexperienced fishermen have many many more!!! 8-10 when I get the boys on board depending on the day. Also I run more while searching for ex as soon as I leave port I tend to make a long troll parallel w shore I get as many lines out as possible, when I locate a active area I tend to reduce the # of rods so I can make shorter turns and fish the sometimes very small area of active fish

• 2 weeks later...

Yea.. me 2. Holy cow I can't believe the spread capability of some of these post! I mean that's great! I think it would be epic for me to just see that being deployed. I max out at 8 and usually just run 6 with three on both sides. Of coarse I usually just run with one other person but geez... If I pull 5, 6-8lbrs I'm stoked and ready for dinner! Plus Im not using a wide boat either.

My boat's 8'6" wide with 2 riggers.

I usually start out with 7 rods - 2 dipsys each side, one on each rigger, and one down the middle.

BUT--when it's slow and we're covering lots of water and I'm getting bored... I've been known to run 11 rods. I'll stack a second rod on each rigger, and add a 3rd dipsy to each side. Just don't try to make any sharp turns!!!!