How many rod do you run in your spring brown spread?

Like yankee said if it is slow we have the max out otherwise it is 8ish. haha My boat is also 8' wide 23' long with the big boards, and mast.

It all depends on how froggy you're feeling.

Edited by Chas0218

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely run two just outside the prop wash , for whatever reason those two rods can see allot if action.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

when u say just outside the prop wash how far back u saying

Don't stress over having to many rods out or not getting enough out, one epic birds nest makes it all not worth it.  

Conditions really make a difference. If your getting in real close, I mean 6 foot depth close you will not have as many rods out but your there because your catching fish. I have had many trips of having 2 rods out and limiting out for 3 people. Just couldn't get the next rod out. 

Then there is the wind and waves and boat traffic. Have you ever seen some of these guys with huge sets out acting like that gives them privilege to the whole lake? And because they have huge sets out they cant maneuver in heavy traffic, so they become "jerks of the lake", and they believe you have to move because they cant. A large set is not worth becoming a flaming jerk in my opinion. 

My rule of thumb is put out as many poles as you need but if having to many lines out is causing you any problems pull them before you act stupid.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently thought it was awesome to run the most rods I could.  Not so cool after you catch a fish and spend 30 minutes fixing your tangled mess.  Cutting everything and retying is not fishing!  That will be when you troll over the spot where the fish are and miss them.  If you are going to learn to put a spread out like I did only start with 1 to 2 Riggers and when you are bringing a fish in if that rigger is only 3 to 6 feet down.  Put it down farther or you will have a tangle. Planer boards 2 on a side and if the fishing is slow put a 1 off the back of boat in the prop wash.   Most importantly find the fish and stay in them and you wont even need all your rods out. 

8 for us on a good day. 2 riggers off the corners and 6 off the big boards. If the weather is too windy we may scale it back to 2 off of each board and both riggers. We have a smallish 23' boat...