Lead Core?

ducks517

Since it's winter and cabin fever is setting in I'm looking to get some set ups for this year. I'm going to get a few lead core rods set up for trolling. Looking thru reviews they are so mixed on lines. Seems like they are either 5 star or 2-3 stars. No consistent reviews. Just curious if anyone is running a lead core trolling set up for walleye and if so what brand etc. of lead core are you using? Also likes or dislikes about it.  

I had some suffix lead core on my 2 and 3 colors and ended up switching back to cortland. I had issues with it fraying and breaking after very little use. I just spooled my 10 color with a spool of lead ore from Great Lakes tackle co. that I got in the goody bag from the sandy creek Shootout.

Edited by GAMBLER

This might be a stupid question I never broke up my cores before, being a walleye fisherman most of the time I needed all the depth I could get, so I spliced a piece of mono in at the 8th color so I had a full 7 colors, figuring I'm in the 35ft zone and then a full 10 colors which was actually 9 with the mono. Now if I wanted a 4 color set up could I use a smaller reel? and what size reels do you use for the small core lengths, I don't use line counter reels I figured what the sense do the math, I figure 1 color is 5ft and it works for me. I use 30 series reels for 10 colors and with about 100yards of backing it fills a 30 series prefect. I use the 27lb test for my full colors but was thinking I have a $hit pile of 12lb that I would like to try on a 4 color could I get away with a 20 series reel for that. Thanks PAP.

I rigged up several combos for different uses last year with suffix, and i felt it worked well for spoons and harnesses but on cranbaits i did much better with deep divers and or clip weights. In my opinion the shorter setbacks with clip weights, the versatility of clip weights, and the convenience makes leadcore obsolete in trolling sticks to depths of 50-60 feet. I do like a leadcore chute rod with a full 10 colors. Keep in mind i troll faster than most, up to 3.5 or so, leadcore isnt a huge part of my trolling. I will say using, or at least trying everything at your disposal is the key to finding out what works for YOU, and leadcore is a cheap way to experiment.

Justin

Sent from my N9500 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I rigged up several combos for different uses last year with suffix, and i felt it worked well for spoons and harnesses but on cranbaits i did much better with deep divers and or clip weights. In my opinion the shorter setbacks with clip weights, the versatility of clip weights, and the convenience makes leadcore obsolete in trolling sticks to depths of 50-60 feet. I do like a leadcore chute rod with a full 10 colors. Keep in mind i troll faster than most, up to 3.5 or so, leadcore isnt a huge part of my trolling. I will say using, or at least trying everything at your disposal is the key to finding out what works for YOU, and leadcore is a cheap way to experiment.

Justin

I totally agree with the snap weights and braid line, we can achieve depths way deeper and faster. I will be giving the speed trolling for the eyes on lake O this year a go what do I have to loose? try it right!! Maybe a pike or muskie magnet, I also agree with your speeds lead core is worthless in those conditions, I am going to try Torpedo's weights on some of my rigs this year. Also JT. did you see the post with the guy that makes the shark type weight? They look sweet painted, they also have the rough pattern like the sharks, I have to see what in comparison they are to the sharks in $$ He did say in his post they were machined out to form a mold, which is expensive, My mags, can lift 12lbs no problem. Maybe as time gets closer you could give me a heads up on what to bring as far as equipment. I know all my trolling goods and casting rod, and I'll touch base with you on other questions I have. PAP OH I talked to Dave and Butch, and we are going up to the camp Thurs. and Hit the road Fri. am I have to find out when we can get into our cabin, that will determine what time we leave our camp.

One of the overlooked advantages of core is the action it gives a lure. It is so speed sensitive that it rises and falls it also snakes and some days just fired when nothing else will.

I also use suffix 832. It has a much greater dive curve then cortland because of the diameter. I use 5 colour for walleye and hit bottom in 35-40 ft depending on speed.

Just cut the 10 colour to whatever you want on a spool. I get 5 colours with sufficient backing on a size 20 reel but it's tight.

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

30 lb braid is what I use for backing. If you have two reels, the best way is to spool 5 colors of core on the reel, fill it with braid then transfer it on to the other reel. Watch the counter as you transfer it so you can replicate it on the first reel.

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• 4 weeks later...

I am thinking of getting some suffix 832. For those of you that have used it, do you get about the same results per color as Scott mentioned above? About 7-8 ft per color?

I have had really good luck on Erie trolling fast with leadcore, about 2.5-2.8.  Nothing new to you guys, most of the strikes came on the turns.  Its really amazing to me to catch walleyes on the outside of a turn when you are going 2.8!  Kinda shoots the "when you think you're going slow enough, go slower" theory all to hell :P  

Ive been saying for a while that fast can be effective on eyes! 3.0 is my minimum all summer and i get plenty of fish on the outside of turns. Tough to get any depth with leadcore at those speeds even combined with a diving lure.

Justin

Ive been saying for a while that fast can be effective on eyes! 3.0 is my minimum all summer and i get plenty of fish on the outside of turns. Tough to get any depth with leadcore at those speeds even combined with a diving lure.

Justin

Anytime you go over 2mph with any type of weighted apparel they render rather useless. Go on to blood run website and read what they have come out with for us walleye fisherman at speeds of 3mph or better they have come out with copper for us walleye guys that they claim will achieve our goals at the speeds that have become popular with walleye fishing, seems to me the 1.5mph days will be more like 3mph days. I wasn't going to post this as they sent it to me via. Email, than I thought about and said to my self, I'm not like that people have been so good to me why not share the info, they also have a new braid focused towards the walleye fishing, take a look and read what they have to say it's so close to what JT been saying all along it scary!!

Thanks Pap.  I kind of fell into the higher speed thing by accident but it works! 

Justin,

Do you find at that high speed that they tend to hit at a constant speed or when you vary it up? Meaning on the inside or outside of turns or change the throttle for a little while?  The best advice I have been given was by an old timer who said "Drive like your drunk :beer: :beer: " meaning the worst thing you can do is drive straight.

When I started trolling i did a lot of "s" turns, and I still do on new water some times, but it's not that repeatable and Im always looking to eliminate a variable.  I fish more of a steady speed and I adjust up on hot  sunny days and down on cloudy choppy days with a starting point around 3.2.  The thing with reaction bite trolling is getting the bait right in front of a fish.  Which means precision depth control, and knowing how deep the eyes are.

justin 

Ok, I checked out the blood run walleye copper. Its impressive for sure, but they only have dive curves to 2.5 mph. Based on what I see I dont think copper is the answer for fast trolling. As pap stated weighted trolling is very speed dependant, blood run copper is no different. I will have to get a few reels set up with it for harnesses though. The thing I found interesting was that it doesnt matter whether you troll a reef runner deep diver or a spoon both run nearly the same depth on copper. I was also surprised to read that there is other guys trolling eyes fast like I do, as ive really not read anything about it.

Justin

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yes Justin trolling with copper is less dependent on weight or other characteristics of the lures (say shape or diving design) and more about characteristics of the copper itself and speed factors. Whereas the lure "guides" the line with mono and braid the copper itself (e.g. stiffness and weight) "guides" the lure is how I perceive the relationship.

Edited by Sk8man

Hey guys, I strictly fish Erie from Buffalo to Dunkirk last year we were well over 500 walleyes with 3/4 coming on lead core. I only use Woodstock 27lb I have 45 rods set up with 2 color to 10 color, my set up is an Okuma Convector 30 up to 7 color and 8-10 I use a convector 45. I start by spooling minimum of 100 yards of 20 lb Berkley Big Game for my backer, and then I join together with an insertion knot then what ever length core you choose then I go with 75 foot of 15lb Big Game for the leader. I troll 1.9 to 2.0 MPH and I find the Woodstock is getting down about 5.5' to 6' per color at that speed. If weight is needed to achieve deeper depths MAKE SURE it is put on the backer not on the lead or leader or it WILL kill the "loping whip" action of the leadcore. If we need additional weight we use a Snapper Torpedo Diver (2oz) as our weight. Also do not use a diving lure on lead core as that will also kill the action of the leadcore as it takes the "loping whip" out of the leadcore. Another thing to remember due to the larger line diameter of leadcore it had a hard time penetrating the thermocline but for us Walleye guys that's not a huge deal as our feeding fish stay above the thermocline anyways, We only run harnesses, spoons, and shallow running cranks on our lead cores. This setup has won us quite a bit of $$ on the Lake Erie Walleye tourney's for us. If any other questions post here or email me at [email protected]

Edited by fishkiller16

• 3 weeks later...

Man there's aloe of info on this thread. I just bought my own boat so I really haven't had much experience when it comes to trolling lead line. I will be mainly fishing for eyes in Conesus and maybe Oneida possibly a trib to erie once in a while. Can you guys help me out in what you would think would be an optimum set up for me to get. Rod......reel.....how many colors should I use. That kind of stuff. I literally have zero experience with lead core. Thanks.

Edited by Phisherman585