Lead Core?

ducks517

Conesus fishes simliarly to Otisco, and Id try a more aggressive approach in the summer with deep divers, and may, sept, and october casting sticks at night is my favorite. Leadcore has its uses for sure and with harnesses its very effective, but I do much better on stickbaits.

justin

The Cortland line Store at Exit 11 on Rt 81  has mill ends of leadcore for 3$ a spool.  They are 7 to 8 colors.  All weights from 14# up to 60# .   Just want guys to know :yes:  :yes:

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a few rod/reel combos and set them up with the sufix 832 lead core. I have a lot of other rods set up for trolling so I will try out some snap weights as well. This summer when they go deep here on Oneida it is going to be a learning experience. All my buddies give up when they go deep. I am a stubborn person and don't give up. lol. I love learning new techniques. I normally only go 2-2.5 but am going to give the 3.0 a chance too. Can't argue with success, right? Less than a week till we get to get out!!!!!!

Last year I did the best below 30 feet...so depending on speed you would need 6-7 colors id guess...Keep in mind as the thermocline moves up and down so do the fish.  A few feet might not seem like much, but in my experience on Otisco depth control is critical.  The previous year water levels were 4 feet lower by end of summer and disolved oxygen levels dropped.  This forced the eyes up in the column and I did well from 17-24 feet down.  Somewhere in this thread I believe a charter captain mentions have 45 reels setup on core....thats not feasible for the average guy.  Whatever technique you choose to get down to the fish you have to have some idea of where in the column you are fishing and have some idea on how to adjust up and down so you can "grid" the water column till you find the fish.  Then if you have a probe and record the temp where you catch fish you should start to see a pattern.  Then its just a matter of finding the depth at the temp you are after and setting your spread in that section of the water column.  Again this is what ive found on Otisco where bait is abundant and the walleyes arent gonna chase baits that arent right in front of them! 

Ok, I checked out the blood run walleye copper. Its impressive for sure, but they only have dive curves to 2.5 mph. Based on what I see I dont think copper is the answer for fast trolling. As pap stated weighted trolling is very speed dependant, blood run copper is no different. I will have to get a few reels set up with it for harnesses though. The thing I found interesting was that it doesnt matter whether you troll a reef runner deep diver or a spoon both run nearly the same depth on copper. I was also surprised to read that there is other guys trolling eyes fast like I do, as ive really not read anything about it.

Justin

We pull the Walleye Copper around as well...and fast, like 2.8 on the slow side...even with harnesses!.   The faster you go, the more in control of the actual running depth of your lures.    Correct to say that copper dictates the running depth, not the lure itself.   The beauty of this is that we can pull big reefs, little reefs, spinners, spoons and it all runs pretty much the same depth with copper.   We had a couple of days we saw eye's down 40 feet and tried to throw our regular big reef program on mono and braid down in order to get to that depth, they didn't want big reefs.   Instead they wanted little reefs and meat...which we could only get down there on copper...and we caught them.

Not a fan of lead anymore...poor bite transmission and poor sensitivity to speed changes.   Faster you go, the more it rises due to drag.  Takes forever to follow your boat around on a turn also.   Copper is right here right now, drop a tenth of mph and copper reacts.    It follows tight to the boards line of travel rather than dragging back.   Also less line out for greater depth.   Less than 20 feet not much difference between the two, beyond 35 feet down lead can't come close.   Lead can't even get deeper than 37 feet as verified by SmartTroll...you can let out 20 colors and it stays right there...37 feet.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by profishient1

If you don't think lead core will dive deeper than 37 feet then I wouldn't  put too much faith on that smart troll. I can promise you that I have caught walleyes on 10 color core on Lake Erie 55-60 feet down at 2.0 mph. Also on a ten color core I have snagged bottom at 55 feet at 2.0 mph so don't ever think that the lead core will not dive deeper than 37 feet because its not correct. I have been running lead core for almost 20 years with great success. As a matter of fact on my boat it out fishes everything else.

If you don't think lead core will dive deeper than 37 feet then I wouldn't  put too much faith on that smart troll. I can promise you that I have caught walleyes on 10 color core on Lake Erie 55-60 feet down at 2.0 mph. Also on a ten color core I have snagged bottom at 55 feet at 2.0 mph so don't ever think that the lead core will not dive deeper than 37 feet because its not correct. I have been running lead core for almost 20 years with great success. As a matter of fact on my boat it out fishes everything else.

Have caught alot on lead too..but we have far more success now with copper.   Just reporting what we saw with the smarttroll and fishawk td.   There were numerous other folks that saw the same thing.    We did stop once and lead finally sunk.    Does not even come close to the sink rate of copper though.   

Here are the leadcore numbers at 2.5 gps with a spoon in the first column.   Second column is Walleye copper depths at the same amount of line out also with a spoon.   2.0 speed number are even more dramatic.   Copper is heavier than lead by a wide margin.

1 color - 2' - 4'

2 color - 7' - 9'

3 color - 9' - 14'

4 color - 11' - 17'

5 color - 14' - 22'

6 color - 18' - 28'

7 color - 21' - 34'

8 color - 24' - 38'

9 color - 29' - 43'

10 color - 37' - 51'

Leadcore flatlined from 10 to 20 colors....approx 37 feet the whole way out at 2.5 gps.   Copper kept on sinking.   Same measurement tool was used for both.   

Edited by profishient1

Got any data for 3.0 mph? Ill definitely give the copper a try if there is dive data for faster speeds. I could put my x4d probe on and make my own chart, but thats a lot to do just to try out copper.

Sent from my N9500 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Got any data for 3.0 mph? Ill definitely give the copper a try if there is dive data for faster speeds. I could put my x4d probe on and make my own chart, but thats a lot to do just to try out copper.

Sent from my N9500 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Not at the moment, as discussed above 3.0 is way out of most guys comfort zone for walleye, though it is deadly!    I will ask and find out if there are plans, there are a number of folks coming out of the closet regarding fishing at those higher speeds, even spinner guys!   The walleye copper is fairly small diameter and that may help against "lift" at higher speeds compared to larger dia lines (core, 45lb copper, etc).