Slide Diver (not Lite Bite) depth chart

Nessmuk

Does anyone have a Slide Diver (regular, not lite bite) depth chart they would be willing to share.    I looked on the web site and couldn't find what I need.   I will be running 20lb mono.

undeneath the chart is options for different line.

Wire 11", Wire 8"PP 3 oz, SpoonPP 4 oz., SpoonsMonoWire 4 oz, no ring spoon

Click on an option and it gives you a different chart

I'm new to this so please excuse my ignorance.   It doesn't specify line.   My understanding is that different diameters of mono perform differently with divers with larger diameter being more buoyant due to resistance moving through water.

I'm new to this so please excuse my ignorance.   It doesn't specify line.   My understanding is that different diameters of mono perform differently with divers with larger diameter being more buoyant due to resistance moving through water.

True but There is a listing for mono. You must use the numbers as a starting point. current and speed are also things to consider. Use the chart for approximation of depth and adjust as needed. The important thing is duplication once you have success.

True but There is a listing for mono. You must use the numbers as a starting point. current and speed are also things to consider. Use the chart for approximation of depth and adjust as needed. The important thing is duplication once you have success.

Are any of the depth charts accurate for the various diver brands?   The dipsy I have comes with a chart specific to 20lb mono at a speed of 2.5 knots, so is that accurate or is it just a ballpark?   With a dipsy I assume I would not reach depth since I plan on trolling slower.   Tough to get my head around blindly dragging around a diver and waiting to see what happens and changing until I get a take.   Way too many variables all at once   (I'm not good at calculus)

I have a Fishhawk  TD so I guess I can get at least some sort of depth indication from it if I drag it from the slider diver.  I'd love to get two boats together with sonar to work up a depth chart for a known line(s).

The main reason I want to use the slider diver is that I have 7.5' rods and I'd like to get the spoon or plug way back from the diver.   I also like the idea of divers getting the lure away from the boat.    All that being said maybe the only accurate way to troll is flat lining or DR?

Those charts are just a guide IMO. Don't try to be to exact w/ it.  Part of the deal w/ them is that they move up & down a little as you turn IMO. As long as you are  somewhat around the strikezone you will be OK. Start out short then let it click out or pull 10-15 of line out every 10 min or so. I check mine every 30-45 min .

I never much liked divers. Then I switched from mono to braid. Like Night & Day. NO stretch & thin Diameter dives deeper faster.Better hookset & trip from boat.

I use my slide diver on a dedicated rod w/ 30# braid, 25' of  20# leader to a bead then a swivelthen 5' Tippet to lure( usually a spoon) .30# will get you to flea season .

I only pull my side diver out when I am struggling for a hit. Saved the day  more than a few times.

Edited by Has Been

Many have said "just a guide" but I don't think that is the best answer.   

First, there are many variables in a trolling set up.   Speed, line size, depth, lure, etc.    I know that this sort of set-up isn't going to be truly precision but I feel I need to get within about 5' of the target depth.   The target depth being based on temperature and what I see on the sonar and where I think the fish might be and lure characteristics.   My goal, maybe unrealistic, is to know as much as possible about each variable and adjust the variables to suit the "pattern".

It seems a waste of time to drag tackle around and not know where it is.   If it isn't near the fish it seems unlikely that there will be a hook up even if the lure and its action are correct and appetizing to the fish.   I'm also concerned about being too deep and hitting bottom loosing or damaging the diver.

I feel much more confident about using a DR than a dipsy or slide diver with the major reason being the depth issue.

I was able to get one of the Precision trolling books from the library and have been having a look at it but it doesn't have info on divers.   It is interesting to see some of the line size conversions and lure info.  I'm going to try to see if any library has the BWE which is what I really want to look at.

Hopefully I'll have a better handle on all this by late next fall.

• 6 years later...

Hey guys! New to the salmon trolling I live near lake George ny I do a lot of lake trout trolling I have the rods and spoons etc etc for salmon! Was looking to stay at bay bridge sport shop for a couple days in Sodus! Am I close to good fishing or will I have to take a long boat ride? I wanna take my son just some quality time with him! Any suggestions or info would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app