Canandaigua

camomanbg

Anyone want to partner up on Thursday (tomorrow) to try for Perch on Canandaigua? My dad wants to go but has never fished the lake before, so I thought it would be cool to try and find him someone that might know about access and how to locate fish over there. I'm not familiar with the spots that were mentioned in an earlier post. I'd settle for any info even if no one wants to go out.

I don't know how old your dad is or what kind of shape he is in but you might want to check out the south end of the lake (Woodville State launch site on Route #21) the walking isn't as brutal as the north end and access from the parking lot is easy. Most folks are looking around for the perch right now and it is anyone's guess where they are as they seem to be roaming around in tight schools.

Thanks Les! He's capable of making a hike. I also realize that the perch have been elusive this year. I just thought I'd throw it out there. We don't have a flasher either, so his method is to just fish around the crowds and try to land on em. He never went today, he's headed out tomorrow and Saturday though.

i think everyone is looking for the perch...spent all day with only a dozen keepers to show for it all jigging nothing on tip ups. All but one caught on minnows and in 23 ft. water east side, The tightly packed schools seem to be roaming around at will so good luck locating them. Covered a lot of ice and drilled a bunch of holes.... you have to really work for them or get very lucky and land on a school.

Sometimes even when you aren't successful locating the perch you can luck out......on Thursday Admiral Byrd and my son and I went to the south end of Canandaigua in search of perch and despite our best efforts and leaving the area looking like a piece of Swiss cheese from our holes we didn't locate them but I did manage this rainbow through the ice which was a bit of a surprise on 2 lb test line on a little jigging rod :lol:

post-145411-0-13965800-1392504557_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Yes Mike I gave it to my son Mark.....I have a bunch in the freezer already....he's going to do it up on his grill (my favorite too) Almost any fish is great when caught through the ice....

They only wanted minnows yesterday and mostly suspended so in the shallows I'd drop either minnows if you have them or plastic minnow look a likes down midway up from bottom or even just under the surface with your rod off to the side of hole a bit to minimize reflection. They may also be stuffed with fresh water shrimp as they often are this time of year and if so not real interested in much of anything presented. I just finished cleaning mine from yesterday and they either had nothing in their stomach or else digested minnows and all but one were female.

Edited by Sk8man

I have got 11 keepers so far. All on tip ups with fat heads. I have been presenting everything I have to then on my rods. I can see them come up look at it take a bite then spit it. Only in 5 fow. This mudpuppy just scared the hell out of me lol. Came up poked its head out and went back down! Lmaopost-153815-13925849147805_thumb.jpg

Duck Killer