Odd time to ask

km282286

Looking for the best places to catch carp around here. I live in lockport ny. Have all the equipment just need the places...any pointers? I have been to all the smaller areas canal Glenwood lake largest so far was just under 30#. Looking for a big one to pull up and let go.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

This early in the year is too early,but in a few weeks when it warms up a bit there is the Seneca River at Montezuma park.

The warmish water of the swamp loaded with nutrients will start flowing out of the overflow pipes into the river  and the carp will try to get into the swamp which is impossible for them because of protective fencing in the water. When you go to one of these overflow outlets  you will see a solid dark brown wall of carp backs at the surface of the water gathered around the pipe. This wall can be about 30 feet long, 12 feet wide and probably all the way down to the bottom of the river.

If you cannot get to that point,there is the boat launch opposite the entrance to Montezuma park just south of the bridge. you can fish from shore into a small creek just south of the launch. Sitting there you will see the carp jumping a small wooden dam in the creek

A few years ago,the world champion ship in carp fishing took place in the Seneca river.

Edited by rolmops

Four mile creek was loaded a couple of years ago.  They couldn't get in from the lake as the creek mouth was blocked with gravel.   There were hundreds of them trying to get over the gravel bar at the state park.  During the spring LOC.

Edited by Big Dave

They are all over the shallow bays on Oneida lake in may when they spawn.Seems like more and more every year.  We used to bowfish them in 2 feet of water. Best starting points would be to the left of the state lunch in bridgeport or Big bay on the north shore

We used to own property on the perch river, which is only about 3 miles if that, but in the spring there were so many carp spawning in there they turned the river into chocolate milk and unfishable for anything else. It's just outside of Dexter NY. they put a new bridge in that is to low for any size boat to fit under, we had to take the window bracket off my dads 18fter center console boat to fit under. The river isn't very wide or long once above the bridge, it has a lot of weeds and cat tails were the fish do their thing. It gets loaded with carp, I know my buddies used to come up to our place and they had a blast with their bows. I personally never saw another place that the carp were in thicker than the Perch river, but I also never targeted that specie of fish. Hope this helps I think you will have a great deal of success there. I remember the size fish the boys brought back  to show us it was amazing the size of these fish. PAP.  :yes:  :yes:

First week to third week of May generally, depending on the water temp, they will be stacked up at the face of every dam in the Seneca river system, provided there is good flow. No need for specialized carp gear or techniques. Medium heavy ugly stick, 20lb braid, bare lead jig head tipped with a worm, hopped across the bottom. You will catch as many as you care to. Anything over 30lbs in this system is a real solid fish.

The Erie Canal is LOADED with carp.  I fish them in the summer in Brockport, Spencerport, Greece and Fairport.  I use corn and they love it.  I use a 1 oz slip sinker with a hair rig 3' from the slip sinker.  Stay by your rods or you will be shopping for new ones.