Boat Maintence

No Limits

Hey Everyone,

I recently purchased a 2007 sport craft 232.  The motor has around 700 hours on it.  I know the previous owner always kept up on oil/fluid changes.  I was wondering what other suggestions anyone had as to items that should me changed/replaced.  How often is it necessary to do a tune up?

Thank You

I change my fuel/water separator filter twice a year, after going through a complete rebuild of my motor last year my uncle who built the motor convinced me to run synthetic oil, due to the abuse a marine undergoes VS. a auto type engine and that way I don't have to change oil twice a year, Yea it's more money but like he mentioned it works out to about the same in $$ in the long run and don't have to worry about conventional oil break downs on hot days when engine temp might climb a little but not to the over heating stage. My uncle builds engines for dirt modified race cars and that's what they run and what I went through last year I don't want to do again to soon!! I would inspect all the wire connections, test the batteries. 700hrs isn't a long time for the Alt. but maybe pull the starter off and inspect it for rust inside, like the brush holders and the brushes themselves make sure the brush holders move freely, maybe take it to a local rebuilder and have him go over it. I'm self employed as a rebuilder and those are some of my concerns. I always carry a spare starter and Alt. and a aux. sol. 

Be careful running fully synthetic car oil on motors older than 1986. There isn't enough zinc and phosphorus in the oil and will cause premature wear of the cam lobes and lifters.  (This only applies to flat tappet motors).  If it is a roller lifter motor you will be fine with the newer synthetics.

In my opinion, try to run Ethanol free whenever possible. Some people think the only danger ethanol presents is attracting moisture, but thats only part of the problem. Even if it truly is the amount the fuel states, it causes engines to run hotter which can lead to catastrophic failure under the loads boats are under. With the way the marine industry is fighting E-15, and rightly so, what if the mix isn't perfect? Pure gas is the way to go whenever possible, the small price difference is made up with better fuel economy.

Same here. Bought our 2002 tracker last year, and the owner never replaced the water pump. Living on borrowed time as far as I'm concerned. Worth the

cost of someone going over it top to bottom for peace of mind.

Good luck!

We run our boat A LOT, and cross the lake a few times a year, so we are a little more proactive when it comes to maintenance than most. 

Oil and filter changed every 100hrs

Each Spring:

Impellers

Plugs

Caps and Rotors

Fuel filters

Check timing

Every 2 years:

Belts

Wires

Thats exactly what I will do.  I might as well do it all this spring and start fresh from there. Appriciate the advice, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

We run our boat A LOT, and cross the lake a few times a year, so we are a little more proactive when it comes to maintenance than most. 

Oil and filter changed every 100hrs

Each Spring:

Impellers

Plugs

Caps and Rotors

Fuel filters

Check timing

Every 2 years:

Belts

Wires