advice on a canadian fishing trip

Hi all,

my buddy and i have decided to take our first fishing trip to canada this summer - most likely somewhere in Ontario or Quebec, but open to other possibilities. My first step of research is simply to ask you all for input. We want a wilderness experience and good fishing, and cost is an issue (not sure we can afford a fly). We want to do it ourselves (i.e., not a guided trip). Have any of you had trips up there you would recommend?

thanks for your input,

andre

Going to Canada is probably the dream of most if not every freshwater angler..You didn't mention if you had a preference of 1 or 2 particular species to pursue...Money I guessing now mite be a problem..If it is then I'd check out location in southern Ontario..Or maybe something like the Ottawa River system in Quebec..Now if your willing to spend 1000.00 or more then north western Ontario would be my  choice...Too many great places to name...But I'd strongly advise going the extra few hundred for a few days with a local guide....The more you want to fish without a guide the more I'd advise hitting a river system..Big lakes Like Rainy, Mil Lac, Eagle lakes are huge in size tough to figure where to start...French River a good choice, Ottawa also along with the Pickerel river  offer good fishing..Most anglers here will have some great advice...But keep in mind a guide can make your trip..Believe me I've gone the route u want to pursue...Good luck   Let us know your results..

Might want to check out "Brennanharbour.com".   My brother & friends were there in late June last yr. & are giong back this yr. .  They have tried places on the French river & weren't real inpressed. They go with an all inclusive package when they go. I beleive their costs were $8 - 1,200 for the wk.& they had pretty good fishing.   Just a suggestion, there are so many places up there.  Have a good time & good luck!

Edited by lineman49

Might want to google "marylakeoutfitter.com". Is the ultimate in wilderness fishing. Many smaller lakes with only one boat on them (no cabins). Logging roads (would advise going in a pick up truck) go right to isolated lakes. No plane needed. Is a 500 mile drive from Penn Yan, NY. Have been going there for 28 years at least one week per year. One caution- new owners have just taken over. We had good luck with them last year. Having a guide for at least one day would be a good idea and watch out for black flies in June and early July. 

You may get more responses if you move this to the Open Lake discussion section.  That way all the Lake O guys that don't fish the fingers might see it and chime in as well. Just a thought.  I too would love to go north and fish. :yes:  :yes:

Bobs Lake, Ontario Canada,, Lots of cabins to rent or cottages, Just google that Lake and all the places will come up, Not in the wilderness, you can drive there and you won't break the bank on cost. Catch walleyes, Northern pike, Smallmouth and Largemouth bass, perch, splake. If your looking for walleye, Beginning of May is best,, Troll backwards as slow as you can with a lindy rig with a crawler and you'll catch em. You'll wanna bring bug spray with you where ever you go in Canada,, Biting insects will carry you off and that's no joke!!

My friends and I have fished Quebec for many many years for walleyes. The BEST place we found is Domain Poutrin Court. It is about 750 miles from Syracuse. The cabins are isolated. The trip is not for the weak. Once you learn the lake, two guys can easily land 500 walleyes in 6 1/2 days of fishing if the wind lets you. Its a great time and greater fishing. If you want more info google poutrin court.com. Leavve me a message as to how to contact you and I can give you more info.

My friends and I have fished Quebec for many many years for walleyes. The BEST place we found is Domain Poutrin Court. It is about 750 miles from Syracuse. The cabins are isolated. The trip is not for the weak. Once you learn the lake, two guys can easily land 500 walleyes in 6 1/2 days of fishing if the wind lets you. Its a great time and greater fishing. If you want more info google poutrin court.com. Leavve me a message as to how to contact you and I can give you more info.

Been there 5 times absolutely great walleye fishing all day long  :yes:  :yes: