What is the best copper length?

scobar

Mine would be the 500ft copper. I asked this same question years ago and that was the recommendation to me. The 500 gets down over 100ft for the deep summer kings. However you can let out shorter lengths if the fish are up higher. Mark the line every 100ft for this application. This was my first copper setup I had and it's my most used every year. I have every section from 50ft to 600 ft and the 500 gets the most use. It's also the one I used to win the fall LOC derby last year.

Total Chaos

I chose a 400. This decision more depends on where you fish and more importantly were the fish are. I fish the Niagara Bar in the spring, Mexico Bay in July, and Fair Haven in August. My usual target depth is from 80 to 100 feet deep on the riggers. I did not want to fish below the fish so I chose to go with the 400. If I primarily fished the east side I would have gone with the 500. I am adding a 300 this year in anticipation of colder water in the spring for the Bar due to all the ice we have in the lakes.

Good luck with your decision.

I would depend on the average depth you would like to target kings and this may vary depending on what port you fish from. In 2013 my answer would have been 400' copper but in 2012 my answer would have been 300'.

If you are looking to get your first copper rig then I would suggest something between 400-500'. Reel size isnt overwelming with copper lengths of this size. Take the time to mark out every 50' of line and this will give you the opportunity to fish it at different lengths (150, 300, etc) as a chute rod. This one setup will help you learn the fundamentals of copper fishing and soon you will own 1/2 dozen setups!

Mine would be a 500.  It has been my most productive copper the past 2 years.  The 300 was a close second the past two seasons and the best 3 seasons ago.  This also depends on where you are fishing.  The East end a 500 is a litte too short.  :)

When running a 400' or a 500' copper what reels do guys generally run?

For copper lengths 250'-500' = Okuma Clarion 553LS or Okuma Convector 55L. I will say, 500' will leave you with less then 100' of backer though. Solterra 50 is a better choice for 500' or more.

My vote is 400 took a lot of hits this year, and worked better down the chute than off the boards for me.  I fish east end Mexico bay.  Just get ready to reel it in a LOT if your fishing it down the chute.  Diver or rigger goes off you better start ripping that copper in

My vote is 400 took a lot of hits this year, and worked better down the chute than off the boards for me.  I fish east end Mexico bay.  Just get ready to reel it in a LOT if your fishing it down the chute.  Diver or rigger goes off you better start ripping that copper in

Unless you run it down the chute on a pike ball rig, then you just open the bail and temporarily let it back further behind the boat out of the way of an active fish.

Why is it that copper seems to be more productive down the chute then off the boards? I just got a setup and will be useing it for the first time this year...

I find the opposite.  Off the boards, it is in quieter water. 

Why is it that copper seems to be more productive down the chute then off the boards? I just got a setup and will be useing it for the first time this year...

I believe it has to do with the jigging action the boat is applying to the rod.  I find a chute copper deadly in following sea troll.

However there are days they want them off of the boards as well.  Run it both ways and let them tell you what they want.

thanks guys for all the information. I have a 1000' spool of copper with 2 new Diawa Seagate 60 reels. I think I'll do 500' & 400' then put the extra 100 on a smaller reel. I fish  the Niagara bar and Olcott.

Unless you run it down the chute on a pike ball rig, then you just open the bail and temporarily let it back further behind the boat out of the way of an active fish.

i have heard of this but never done it.  so you already have the pike ball in the water? or u clip it on fast on let it fly? and if you're shallow couldn't the copper sink as you drop it back and snag bottom?

i have heard of this but never done it.  so you already have the pike ball in the water? or u clip it on fast on let it fly? and if you're shallow couldn't the copper sink as you drop it back and snag bottom?

Yes, when I run a copper down the chute, it goes on a pike ball and back 100 feet or so.  if it looks like a fish will get into it, I just flip the free spool lever with the clicker on and let it out more. You are still moving forward, so it shouldn't drop that much, at least I've never touched bottom with it.  Some days that will get creamed repeatedly while the board coppers are quiet.  I stick that rod up in my rocket launcher to keep the tip good and high. 

Edited by Tim Bromund

I believe it has to do with the jigging action the boat is applying to the rod.  I find a chute copper deadly in following sea troll.

However there are days they want them off of the boards as well.  Run it both ways and let them tell you what they want.

I think this is a great comment. On my boat the chute rod seems to do much better in rough water c/w the boards and it must be all the inertia from the boat going up and down in the troughs of the waves adding action on the lure. The otter boards on the other hand are so light that they tend to skip from wave to wave adding less action.

Great comment Tall Tails - thanks for sharing

- Chris

I think this is a great comment. On my boat the chute rod seems to do much better in rough water c/w the boards and it must be all the inertia from the boat going up and down in the troughs of the waves adding action on the lure. The otter boards on the other hand are so light that they tend to skip from wave to wave adding less action.

Great comment Tall Tails - thanks for sharing

- Chris

Inertia vs.jigging action! Hmmmm. Lets debate this. Lol Edited by on the lam

Inertia vs.jigging action! Hmmmm. Lets debate this. Lol

Lol.......please no debate like some of the 150,000 other posts on this site where we debate the molecular makeup of something like a snap swivel....lol

Can someone advise me whether I should set up 2 reels with 30# wire or copper? What are the advantages of one over the other? I've run a steel flat line before, but I've never run dipsey's or boards.

Is it worth my while to invest in this gear where I only fish lake "O" twice a year for a week at a time.

Thanks

Egoody

Wire and copper are totally different. Wire is used with dipsies or added weights for a thumper rod. Copper is run as a flatline like leadcore and gets depth on its own.

I would setup two wire rods for dipsies before one copper rod.