Sturgeon Point

Sean Youngblood

Fished Sturgeon Pt. with my friend Matt. We fished in 53' ice was 16-20 "  Just jig 1 rod with Raps. We each took home 20 from 9-13.5" nice day drag wasn't bad. Got 8 Smelt on Jigging Rap also.

Edited by Sean Youngblood

• 4 weeks later...

Lake Erie ice is over two foot solid this year. The parking lot is jammed with vehicles daily. Travel to depths over fifty five feet of water over the mud bottom results in great catches of large perch. ATV's are checked for registrations, insurance, tow bars regularly. Check for reports on Ice Shanty New York Lakes and Ice Fishing New York. Figure on travelling five miles each way to reach the perch grounds. Compass and GPS are needed in whiteouts.

Made probably my last trip to Sturgeon on Tuesday the 11th.I hiked out to 54' of water and caught 3 Smelt in the first half hour.Packed up hiked out to 60' got into the Perch.The late morning and early afternoon was a slow steady pick.Late afternoon the bite picked up.I just jigged 1 rod with a #3 Rap with a small Emerald on the treble hook.Lost 1 big fish that was suspended about 10' off bottom, probable a Lake Trout after a 5min, fight.Limited out on Perch.Made for along hike in with the extra 35+lbs. of fish.6 to 8" of water on the ice in most spots on the way in.Ice was about 18" in the areas I drilled.

0311141851a_zps71e6259f.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Made it out to Sturgeon again 3/23 with my friend Matt again.Headed out on foot. Travel was great no snow on ice.Started out in 54' picked up a couple of nice Perch.Screen went blank Moved out deeper 58' didn't mark much.Hiked back into 54' tried several spots picked up a few more.Moved back to were we started in 54' Now it's like 3 and we only have about 6 or 8 Perch between the 2 of us.About 330-4 my Vexilar starts to light up.It was like someone flipped a switch on.We wound up catching over 100 Perch with 83 keepers from 9-13" and 1 12' Walleye.Ice was about 24" everywhere I drilled.Machines where out as far as I could see.Harbor ice is getting a little beat up from all of the Machines.Should hold up the rest of the week.