Home Made Planer Board Mast

johncole

I plan on putting together a home made mast and boards myself, I have been looking at the different ones that are posted on here and other sites. one question that pops to mind is just how hard do the double boards pull? i have read where some guys are breaking 450# line because their boards are pulling so hard. It seems to me that is a bit extreme. 

I saw where one person made his mast out of thick wall PVC and then help support it with guide lines? 

as far as a base goes my boat already has a mast mounting plate on the bow, so as long as i match up the holes i can fab just about any plate to got to it with some thumb screws (boat serves dual purpose, fishing and swimming) to fasten it.

but mainly whats the average they pull?

I have homemade boards and mast.  the mast is a 7 foot piece of gavinized 3/4 inch water pipe supported by a doubled up floor board bolted across the front of my boat.  for reels i have two old penn 209s i got off of ebay for under 20 bucks each i use 150# power pro for line.  I set that up 3 seasons ago and everything is still working well.  the boards were homemade hand me downs that my father used back in the 80s.  two cedar planks with threaded rods holding them togather pull pleanty hard enough to run lead core i even have a 300 copper that I can run pretty easily.  Pm me if you like I have some pics i can dig up and send you. 

i've been looking at some boards like them on here, from what i have read they seem to do the job. 

right now i'm trying to decide which way to go on the Mast thou. i have a couple of ideas as far as the pulleys and and the "reel". i'm trying to stay light and being able to store it away easily.

also has anyone seen and plans for board you can fold up? 

I built a short 4 foot double mast using 2 inch heavy wall pvc, a pair of eye bolts and 2 reels out of hand me down damaged manual cannon riggers. Hardest n most important part i found was finding pulleys that the line can not get behind or beside the pulley. I pull double runner big boards with no issue

In most ordinary circumstances the pvc works just fine,but after a season or 2 the sun will have made it   fairly brittle. Sometimes a board gets caught on a floating log which will dramatically increase the drag to one side at which point either your line or your mast (deck connection) will break. I pulled triple board riviera boards with 4 foot 3/4 inch galvanized pipe but never more than 150 pound test line so the weakest point in the system  is always the one that is the cheapest and easiest to repair while on the water.

As for boards,my favorite is double keeled otter boards. Last summer I accidentally crossed lines with some amish outfitter boards  and the most amazing thing happened. Because the line hookup on my boards was much lower than the amish hookup ,my line went under the amish boards and came out on the back without any inconvenience whatsoever

Edited by rolmops

Check out the pipe for chain link fence. Light in weight and fairly cheap. I used one on my previous boat for a few seasons.

yep, that's what I'm thinking. I also have a seat out of another boat of mine with the base still attached, I just have to pull it out of the shed to see if it will slide into the post. if it does then I can bolt that to the mast base that is already mounted on the boat. I just picked up some eye bolts and thumb screws. Still have to get a couple of decent pulleys, although I'm thinking I might just use the eye bolts them selves to run the rope thru, I can't see where there will be that much friction on them. I believe I'm going to use a couple of cleats to use as tie off points for the rope, speaking of any thoughts on what seems to work the best other than over priced planer board rope?

My previous boat had weedwacker line on it when I bought it. I can't remember if I used that though for a short time or not before I changed the system.

There were no reels, just the line tied to the mast and out to the boards. The previous owner would just pull the line by hand and coil it in the boat on hooks similar to wrapping a cord on an upright vacuum.

I have used the planer line from Traxstech (heavy mono I think) and now use Scotty downrigger braid. Both worked fine but I think the mono contracted in the cold and cracked one of the reels.

Edited by Broadhorizons

ok, sounds kind of what I have in mind, unless I come up with a decent reel system. Right now I'm having trouble finding a decent pulley for the set up. Any tips would be appreciated.

What about a little pully from a sailing supply store. Saw some at the boat show looked inexpensive and strong enough

A decent reel system seems to be easy with a simple pully from a sailing supply store. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

Most pullies  are made for at least 1/4 inch line. The line  you use to pull your boards is way thinner and because of the movement of the boat ,specially in turns, your line is not always tout. I tried it the first year after I built my home made masts and the line got caught on the side of the pully way too often.This means having to get to where the mast is and rearranging everything only to have it happen again a little while later.

The only pully made for this type of line is the Big Jon pully. Your line is guaranteed not to get caught on the side of the pully no matter what. In my opinion it is either the Big Jon pully or stainless steel eye bolts.

Trying anything else is trying to reinvent the wheel.

Edited by rolmops

i have read where some guys are breaking 450# line because their boards are pulling so hard.

450 Lb line is typical parachute cord, although a couple companies do make marlin leaders in that test range.  There's a saying:  "It's on the internet so it must be true. "  :)   :wondering:  :)

Tom B.

(LongLine)

By the time you try to jimmy rig somthing, might want to look into buying the right thing the first time. I use single boards & use a  a boat rod w/ a pulley top & old penn reel on one & big spining reel on another w/ 40# mono. Works great.

I get them out a long way w/ that setup. I like the flex of the rod & mono stretch  to keep constant pressure on the board. I keep saying I will make a set of doubles ,but the ones I have work great

450 # test could pull a small car out of the ditch. Overkill.

I have an old aluminum mast, one of the reels is broke. It's free for the taking. No shipping , pick up in penfield.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

when can i pick it up, i'm on the road, i can get it either tomorrow or Friday, weekend is out.

By the time you try to jimmy rig somthing, might want to look into buying the right thing the first time. I use single boards & use a  a boat rod w/ a pulley top & old penn reel on one & big spining reel on another w/ 40# mono. Works great.

I get them out a long way w/ that setup. I like the flex of the rod & mono stretch  to keep constant pressure on the board. I keep saying I will make a set of doubles ,but the ones I have work great

450 # test could pull a small car out of the ditch. Overkill.

i looked at a double at a store they want $289.00 for it, way out of my price range for it. i'm thinking the same thing about 450# that's why i asked about it. just figuring out what will work best for me and what i can build. 

go with the home made great on the budget and very satisfying when it works if you dont find something else for reels go on ebay and look for some used penn level winds there is a ton of them on there and they are heavy enough for board lines if you use power pro for the line you can fit pleanty on the reel get the line through ebay as well or walmart.com  my  first mast (experimental was a tinner walled conduit with a wood dowel inside for streanght and an eye bolt at the top worked for a single mast but than i started to fish with a partner a little more and wanted to double up

Have you checked TSC or Lowes for pulleys?

Tony from Great Lakes Planers makes some excellent ALL metal pulleys but they would be a little more than a box store.

yes i checked there, and they are basically junk for this purpose. I'm going to go out an meet up with Ontherise, he has a mast he has offered me. needs a little work but it's an awesome offer.

thanks again.

Edited by johncole

I put rail mount rodholders near the bow with machine made aluminum poles (custom made) that perfect into the rod holders with big jon pulleys. The reels are mounted as far back as the Hardtop giving me access to the reels and getting the tow line as far forward. Started out using heavy PVC but not rugged enough. The most expensive part was the Bert's Reels, works great

My winter project...

5' conduit pipe fits nicely into an old seat post.

1.5" PVC sleeve slides right over conduit.

Cut in a couple of pvc crosses & fitted them with tees. Tees aren't glued so I can turn them and lock in place with pins.

Cut a plastic wire spool in half and bolted the ends of another onto the cut ends.

3.5" pieces of 0.5" PVC through spools.

0.5" bolt (10") through mast some galvanized & nylon washers.

Going to hand spool the line & secure the spools with a clip.

Total cost= $50.

post-148417-0-97949300-1392944486_thumb.jpg

post-148417-0-95180200-1392944527_thumb.jpg

post-148417-0-21882200-1392944561_thumb.jpg

post-148417-0-56891900-1392944588_thumb.jpg

I have an old aluminum mast, one of the reels is broke. It's free for the taking. No shipping , pick up in penfield.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

once again thanks for the mast, I got the pulleys all set now, only have to fix that one reel which should be easy enough) and off to the water (once it thaws :( )