attaching flies to flasher

Hello. I was wondering how everyone rigs their flies to the flashers. Currently I tie direct to the swivel at the back of the flasher. After multiple changes it  shortens the   leaders. I have also tied loops on the end and fed it through like that, reusable but don't like having that in the line. Wondering if a barrel swivel would change the action. , wondering what your thoughts were.

Thanks, Kevin

I tie a simple overhand knot with a loop, pass the loop through the eye of a large swivel like the one on a Spin Dr. and pass the loop around the swivel itself and cinch it down. The fly always stays attached to that swivel, but when i change it out I'll just unhook the swivel from the flasher and attach it to a new paddle, Spin Dr., etc.

Good luck,

Chris

The reason I now use the barrel swivels vs. the loops on the commercial flies is because the commercial ones are the only ones I've had break. My thinking is that the line may be stronger even at the knot vertically than it is when the line is say pulled or jerked on the loop which is basically horizontal at the point of maximal impact stress. I also use glue on my knots :)

Edited by Sk8man

That is good practice....and I guess a lot depends on someone's level of confidence and whatever works best for them. I think at this point I trust my own knots and materials more than the commercially tied stuff these days regardless of tying method.

thanks for the input! I will probably keep the ones I have with the loop knot already and maybe try a few with swivels too. Momay I feel dumb now. I never thought to change the sd swivel out with the fly on it . lol Cant wait to get out. May have to attach a steel plate on the front of the trophy for an ice breaker soon ;)

Perfection knot loop here. Loop Through the ring ...fly through the loop. The fly rotates with the flasher...for a different action use a barrel snap swivel, and the fly slows down on rotation a little.

Sent from my PC36100 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The fly always stays attached to that swivel, but when i change it out I'll just unhook the swivel from the flasher and attach it to a new paddle

If I have a hot paddle I dont change a thing.  Guys who fish with me have been berated for removing swivels from attractors...HHHMMMM I may need to seek professional help....

I always tie a loop, but I always tie my own leaders.

I am new to the lake last year, but have fished the river for many years with a fly rod. For that reason I started with a perfection loop and it hasn't failed me yet. Will definitely change them out every year though.

If I have a hot paddle I dont change a thing. Guys who fish with me have been berated for removing swivels from attractors...HHHMMMM I may need to seek professional help....

I always tie a loop, but I always tie my own leaders.

I tie a overhand loop knot on all the leaders and have a heavy snap on every paddle on the boat.

and yes I have been yelled at by Brian.

Edited by on the lam

• 1 month later...

Digging up an older post here, but i want to re-tie my flies this week... i have 40 lb. Pline CFX Fluro leader sitting at home...it looks like most run 50lb leaders, so i'm curious what are the thoughts on using this 40 lb leader.  I would imagine the 40lb would be plenty capable of doing the job right?

tlox, when it comes to fly leaders, the stiffer the better for me. not sure if 40 will be stiff enough. i prefer 50 or 60 seaguar premier flouro. especially with a tournament tie two hook rig, stiff line is a must. perfection loop to larger duo snap on paddle. best, mark