Kicker steering with Sea Star cable

BHufnagle

Putting a kicker on in the next month or so and was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Sea Star kicker cable. I have hydraulic steering on a 200 outboard on stainless bracket and the cable looks like a great solution. I think the offset between where the outboard is on the bracket (about 30 in. away from transom) and where the kicker is going to be would be too great to have an ez steer bracket work effectively, and this looks like the next best thing without spending big $ on a separate system. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

• 4 weeks later...

No comments on the cable is telling me people don't use them and there may be a reason.

Anyone seen them before?

http://www.seastarsolutions.com/products/hydraulic-new/outboard-new/seastar_kicker/

Data sheet:

http://www.seastarsolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/hos2-seastar_kicker.pdf

Thanks for the responses. Doesn't your finger get sore from pushing a button all day? Steering from the wheel seems more natural, steering from a button must have a learning curve and take some time getting used to?

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

A I agree, nothing like steering with the wheel.....like we should be.

A lot safer keeping your eyes on what'sin front of you.

The cable system is the way to go as far as I am concerned. Installed it on my Hydra Sports 2 years ago and love it. No issues, no problem. I also have the Troll master Pro 2 running my kicker for trolling.

Marty

I too run a custom mount between my Main Motor (Honda 225) and my Kicker (Honda 9.9).  I found Sea Star has a hydraulic mount made only for the Port Side not the Starboard side.  Ive never used the cable steering set up but i would think its effective with the only issue being the drag of the main motor.  If your tuning hard to port the main motor lower unit would still be in the straight position unless you turn the wheel as well.  Of course i've been wrong before.

I too run a custom mount between my Main Motor (Honda 225) and my Kicker (Honda 9.9).  I found Sea Star has a hydraulic mount made only for the Port Side not the Starboard side.  Ive never used the cable steering set up but i would think its effective with the only issue being the drag of the main motor.  If your tuning hard to port the main motor lower unit would still be in the straight position unless you turn the wheel as well.  Of course i've been wrong before.

KJL the unit he is looking at is driven off the main motor steering. It uses a cable link instead of a direct rod type link. This allows the kicker to be set back from the main engine while still being steered with the main engine wheel. Nice set clean set up if you need it.

Spike

That's great, I had no idea that's how it worked...wish I would have seen this before I went through the trouble of fabrication of my own. My issue was height difference when my kicker was trimmed up.

Thanks Spike for the clarification.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United