rigger rods

BAITNH

Im in the process  of relining some downrigger reels to use for kings this summer. What i hear about fleas   what is my best bet  to line up with    #lb test  and   anything  special  ???   I look forward to your  responses.

I used to use 20lb flea flicker. Had too many break offs. It kept the fleas off, but I found it would twist sometimes, even with good quality swivels (spro).  The swivels did help a lot, but if something went slightly wrong with deployment, it twist and weakened the line.

I changed to 30lb big game, and had no fleas on the line, plus it is strong as heck, and it's a lot cheaper than flea flicker.

We had alot of success with Blood Run Tackle's Sea Flee. Its a 30# mono with a slick resin and a round shape. It was specifically designed and built to battle fleas.

http://bloodruntackle.gostorego.com/shop/premium-monofilaments/sea-flee-fishing-line-mono-spiny-water-flea-300-yards.html

I ran the Bloodrun 30 lb Seaflea line last season on 4 rods and have taken it off two of them...it stretches way too much and although it does keep the fleas off the Big Game 30 lb.mono does as well and is half the price and is what I'll be using again this fleas season.

Edited by Sk8man

30# Big Game, with about a 10 - 15' section of lighter # fluorocarbon, no fleas, very durable, if you set your drags correctly, and inexpensive...my experience/opinion 

I was using Big Game even when it was called "Hombre" back in the 70's and 80's (used in both fresh and salt water) and it has always been good line and good knot strength and abrasion resistance....some of the other Berkley stuff hasn't been as great but the Big Game is certainly not "junk". I even used up a 4,300 yard spool of the Hombre :lol:  and after that for awhile the stuff was pinkish/salmon color kinda like Ande line....before the current Big Game stuff.

post-145411-0-59483900-1392939621_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Spending more money never guarantees quality....in anything! Thinking that because something is less expensive and therefor is "crap" is ridiculous....it is a question of "what works" If you enjoy spending more money for something and thinking that it is better because of it that's fine...you have a lot of company but that doesn't make it true.

I have run Ande, Big game, Flea flicker, and maxima. They are all good lines. It is freaking 30lb! I don't care what brand you use, 30lb is over kill in most circumstances on Lake Ontario. Before fleas, we ran straight 15lb ande or big game. I find flea flicker is the best at keeping fleas away. I have not tried the blood run stuff but I did try their floro and was not impressed at all.

Edited by GAMBLER

I like all of it!  The Flea flicker does stretch the most and takes up a lot of space on the reel.  It does twist easy and isn't the greatest with knots...but you get 0 fleas.  It doesn't work too great in a blacks release without a rubber band.  I think it's best use is to tie in a 100 foot section between your mainline and leader during flea season.  Don't grab it with a screamer on the other end.  It's oval shape will make it cut into your hand!  The Big Game is the most user-friendly and the strongest.  It's the easiest to tie knots with and stretches the least.  But you will get some fleas on it.  I use this on my spoon rod and leader down to 20 lbs floro via a spro micro-swivel.  The Blood Run is a great line.  It's slick to the touch with some kind of coating on it.  You will get 0 fleas with it.  But it's huge and hard to tie knots with (especially to small swivels).  I didn't notice the amount of stretch someone else mentioned.  But i believe it.  I used this on my rod i ran flashers on.  I ran it straight to a spin dr swivel. 

Edited by BAZOOKAJOE