Cruising the St. Lawrence

Adk1

I would love to do this. can anyone tell me where It would be best to launch and maybe cruise for 2 full days and nights then return to the same launch? Any specific sights that would be destination stops/specific places to anchor etc? Would be my wife and me in our 221 Islander.

I agree with Nessmuk, Also, Singer Castle  down river from Alex. Bay is worth seeing. A trip to the Lake of the Isles and through  the International Rift is a nice area to explore.  Also remember, you need to report in to Customs if you land or even anchor in Canadian waters (passport or enhanced ID required for all on board). Generally it's ok to cross the boarder via water, if simple sightseeing.

Lot's of NY State Parks and Canadian Provincial Parks are available and have dockage. Communities with dockage are Kingston. Gananoque, Rock Port, on Canadian side, Cape Vincent, Clayton, Alexandria Bay on US side. You can also visit Rock Island Light House near Fishers Landing which has opened fairly recently. Lots of paces to launch a boat in State Parks and villages as well as some marinas.

Lots of places to launch but not sure about leaving a  car/trailer unattended for a few days.    I would ask NYS camp grounds about it and look at  marinas around Clayton/Cape Vincent  which are centrally located as well as Burnham state park or the state park on Wellesley Island.

Between sight seeing and fishing you could easily spend a couple of weeks up there.     

You don't have to get very far off the beaten path to need a new lower unit up there.

If you get too far off the beaten path you may want to take an extra prop along..... :lol:

What these guys said.

Also plan on a lot of boat traffic and a rough ride. You won't get waves from the lake just mostly from other boats and maybe a tanker. Lots of chop.

Sent from my thinking chair...

yeah I figured. would definatly go mid week. I always keep a spare prop, my home area is a pretty hazzardous body of water and loves to chew props..Lower unit however, wont fit

My wife & I launched at the Coal Docks at the Cape & made our way up to A Bay . Stopped at Clayton for lunch & some shopping, went to Bolt Castle & stopped at A Bay for a walk   around town & Ice cream . Drove around the islands . Did a little fishing & was back at the dock near dark. Was a fun day,

3 islands in front of the thousand island park . Drift between for pike & bass. My friend got a 52 " Musky there.

• 1 year later...

we are heading to Wellelsey island sat thru Wedneday. been reading up on Canadian Customs and when to report. basically says that as long as you are cruising from one US port to another US port but sway into canadian waters, then you do not need to report. Also, we do not all have Enhanced ID or Passports so we wont be landing on Canadian soil at all

Andress Marina in Rockport,Ontario has parking for vehicle & boat trailer for $11 Canadian per day.Boat launch is basic drive off trailer but deep enough for big boats,also never a line.Two good restaurants there as well.Protected anchoring areas between Tar & Grenadier Islands close by.

Edited by mostlymuskies