what brand of copper?

just curious the consensus on what brand of copper folks run. I started with opti-tackle then rigged some other rods with bloodrun, both 45#. have to say the bloodrun is the one that consistently gets kinked, fouled up, birds nests on the spool where as opti does not or at least when it does it is easier to fix. Bloodrun feels too soft to me. Thanks for input!

The only time I've had trouble with mine was when I accidentally hit "free spool" :lol:  There are different degrees of hardness (and therefore stiffness) in copper wire itself though and I suppose depending on the brand they may use different manufacturers and different hardness in the wire. I haven't experienced any problem with the Blood Run braided 45 lb thus far though. The single stranded copper can be a nightmare when it kinks up in the boat....just ask any copper jerker when things go wrong :)

Edited by Sk8man

this was probably a topic in question before but i didnt come across it. i wanna re rig all of my coppers and make 2 more so the total copper needed is around 1500+ ft. I dont want to buy 1500' of something that is not recommended by trusted LOU members! thanks for everyones input, yes still unsure on which! lol

We ran blood run all last year it was more user friendly, it deploys very smooth with less twisting. We put a beating on it on Seneca with several thousands of pounds of weeds reeld in off the inlines. That's the one thing that stinks about the finger lakes in the summer. We didn't get the twisted up mess like with other copper. The diameter and sink rate is great and I was very pleased with it. Now if they could come up with a line that cuts weed pods in half that would be killer:). I also ran the sea flea line last year with outstanding results. You won't be disapoited with the blood run products.

Edited by Hookedup

I've only used Bloodrun, so kind of partial I guess. 

On a side note, I had an issue with their wire last year and talked too the Bloodrun guys at LOTSA about it.  They showed me to to fix the problem, and handed me a new spool of 30# wire to replace the old one.  Getting hard to find that kind of customer service nowadays.  Will def be back to ge tmore of their products.

Rick and Gambler are right....we need to support our own guys....it is like Chevy and Ford....and Atomik and Blood Run are both good quality products....my next wire will be Atomik despite being very satisfied with Blood Run....

Edited by Sk8man

• 2 weeks later...

For copper, it's ATOMMIC all the way.

I have run the both of them. They both have their strengths and weaknesses but I prefer the blood run. Simply for its smaller diameter with the same sink rate. Plus it's a touch more user-friendly

I have heard this rumor. Interestingly enough, I worked with New Jersey Strand and Cable a lot last year as they entertained getting into the fishing industry sector. They specialize in small Dia. wire, including copper and stainless.  They tested Blood Run 45 lb copper and found it to be .037 in. dia, same as everyone's #45 lb copper. The main difference  I was told was it's soft tinned copper with 1/2" lay where as most brands are hard copper with a 3/8 lay.

Those are the differences, it's pretty simple.  It would be nice to see copper specs on packaging. Soft copper may not kink as easily as hard copper, but it also stretches under a load where hard copper will not, and individual strands will break a lot more often with soft copper.

I like the durability of the hard copper and ATOMMIC is a local company who sells nothing but top quality products. That's enough for me :)

• 2 weeks later...

I run ATOMMIK copper. Quality stuff from a guy that Is local and supports most derbies and tournies on the lake.

plain and simple as that ...couldn't be said any clearer

Copper is pretty basic stuff. For me it comes down to who most supports our fishery, derbies, tournaments, and our club events (LOTSA).

With the exception of one 60lb Blood Run copper / Penn Senator 9/0 combo for fishing WAY deep, I run A-Tom-Mik on all my other combos.

I don't find any advantage or disadvantage to the hardness, softness, coating (or lack thereof), or lay of the twist among brands.

Since I fish with some cranky old-timers now and then, the only advantage the 60lb offers is achieving a desired deep depth with fewer cranks of the reel. However, some consider this a disadvantage because they want the further distance from the boat and don't care about the number of cranks of the reel handle to bring the line in.

From a pure fishing standpoint not taking into consideration user preference, I'd have A-Tom-Mik across the board and just go with a 750-900' 45lb abyss rod over the 500-550' 60lb abyss rod.