pike ball

I've used balloon rigs on a release clip for years off and on to do it too (similar to salt water tuna rigging) and use it on braid as well (inexpensive for the balloons and easily stored)

post-145411-0-41572300-1393106617_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-52601500-1393106625_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

It's used in a couple different applications.  Most recently, some of us have been using it to run a chute copper in a way that alllows you to avoid tangles with fish behind the boat.  it's a 3" or 4" foam float from a pike/muskie quick strike bait rig.  Pin a length of 30 lb mono in the float and add an offshore OR16 release to the mono.  Let the copper out down the chute and clip the pike ball onto the backing  kind of like you would an inline planer, and let it back behind the boat 100-150 feet, so it's not in the way of other rigs.  We use the OR16 so you can put the line in behind the pin to make sure the line doesn't release.  If you get a really rambunctios fish on and it looks like it might get into it back that far, just flip open the free spool lever and let it back another 100' or whatever, to temporarily get it out of the way of the fish, then just reel it back up into position after the fish is in the boat. 

Some days, they like it down the chute morethan out the the side on a board.  If you have a rocket launcher on the boat, this is a good place to put that rod as it gets the line way up and out of the way of everything.

We actually started using this many years ago as a tailgunner rig for spring shoreline brown trout fishing.  Put a stickbait out 30 feet and clip the ball on and send it back 150-200 feet.  The short lead off the ball keeps that stickbait friom diving too deep and hanging bottom and it does a great job of picking up those fish that move off to the side as your boat passes and move back after you have gone past.

Someone (not me) tried it for a chute copper a number of years ago and it does a great job there as well.

IMG_03811_zps76f6f5fd.jpg

Tim

Edited by Tim Bromund

It's used in a couple different applications.  Most recently, some of us have been using it to run a chute copper in a way that alllows you to avoid tangles with fish behind the boat.  it's a 3" or 4" foam float from a pike/muskie quick strike bait rig.  Pin a lehgth of 30 lb mono in the float and add an offshore OR16 release to the mono.  Let the copper out down the chute and clip the pike ball onto the backing  kind of like you would an inline planer, and let it back behind the boat 100-150 feet, so it's not in the way of other rigs.  We use the OR16 so you can put the line in behind the pin to make sure the line doesn't release.  If you get a reanny rambunctios fish on and it looks like it might get into it back that far, just flip open the free spool lever and let it back another 100' or whatever, to temporarily get it out of the way of the fish, then just reel it back up into position after the fish is in the boat. 

Some days, they like it down the chute morethan out the the side on a board.  If you have a rocket launcher on the boat, this is a good place to put that rod as it gets the line way up and out of the way of everything.

We actually started using this many years ago as a tailgunner rig for spring shoreline brown trout fishing.  Put a stickbait out 30 feet and clip the ball on and send it back 150-200 feet.  The short lead off the ball keeps that stickbait friom diving too deep and hanging bottom and it does a great job of picking up those fish that move off to the side as your boat passes and move back after you have gone past.

Someone (not me) tried it for a chute copper a number of years ago and it does a great job there as well.

IMG_03811_zps76f6f5fd.jpg

Tim

Tim - this is really awesome, thanks for sharing. Where's a good place to buy the floats, and how do you "pin" the mono to the float?

Thanks,

Chris

Years ago Dick's used to have them in a "Joe Bucher's Musky Sucker Float Rig", but haven't seen them there in a long time.  You can find them online also.  I know Wes at the Slippery Sinker in Olcott usually carries them for this purpose, so maybe some of the other shops up and down the lake carry or can get them if asked.  I would guess shops that cater to pike/musky fisherman would have something like that.

The float has a hole through it with a pin to hold the limne in place, you can't see it in this photo, but there is actually a small snap tied to the other end that is pulled up tight to the plastic pin.  Before I started using the OR16, I used a regular Offshore pinch pad downrigger release, but you had to clip the swivel on the line as well because those release would let loose all the time.  Not necessary with the OR16, now it just keeps the line from sliding through the float.

Tim

http://www.churchtackle.com/product%20pages/Planer_Boards/TX_007.html maybe not a cheaper option but this would achieve the sane goal right?

Sent from my C811 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yes. 

Actually, I was talking to Dave Mull about this a while after he had actually had me write something up on the pike ball and published in one of the Basic's and Beyond's of GLA magazine. 

From what Dave told me, our pike ball rig was kind of one of the inspirations for Church coming up with that product.  i would just have a hard time paying $24 for something that does the same thing a $4 styrofoam ball does.

Tim

Edited by Tim Bromund