Canadaigua 9/22

bondouley

Ok guys im changing the way i post till open water cause im pissing people off i guess by giving out too much info. I forget to take into consideration how the guys i fish with might think about my posts. So till im back in my boat doing my thing posts will be vague.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Lol some people think they own all the fish in the lake! I have lived on this lake for the past 40 plus years and have fished it almost just as many. There is a reason for sites like this! Fishing is not supposed to be a loner sport! I run a fishing pole rental at the public library just to get kids out and fishing again! We need them to keep the sport alive. Rental is free all they need is a library card and a want to enjoy the outdoors. People who want to keep all the fish to themselves reflects negatively on how the sport is meant to be! Share the fishing reports and share the sport! Especially with the kids!

Tim

Duck Killer

Well said tplatt!!  And may I say good for you with the fishing pole rental idea.

Hope it wasnt anything I said bonouley, lol!!  If you are on Keuka this Sat, good luck as we will be there as well.  Look for a couple of guys with 5 or 6 kids running around on the east side about half way down.  If you see us stop by and say hi, just dont take all the fish from my spot....

:beer:

Amen Tim Platt!Thanks for doing what you do for the kids....it is vitally important. You summed things up beautifully too. There is a lot of selfishness as well as greed in the world...why have it connected to the sport we care about. I have fished these Finger Lakes for my entire life including fishing with some of the best "old timers" in the Finger Lakes - many of whom are no longer with us and many of them "secret holders" to the grave. You can't take your equipment with you either....we are all "renters". I decided some time back that it is essential to our sport to willingly share information that might help others in this pursuit and especially important to pass on information to new folks to the sport to help "jump start" them to keep the sport alive and well. Ever notice that many if not most of the folks at meetings and even at the expositions and fishing shows are middle aged and beyond males? Kids now days have way too many alternative choices (sports practices every day after school, video games TV, various other things and the money to do those things. I had trap lines to check for muskrats BEFORE school, a Democrat and Chronicle paper route with 127 morning papers later on, and as a teen 17 lawns to mow, walks to shovel and that was how I got my money to send away for a cheapo rod and reel and a few Mepps spinners and fake daredevles to fish with on the Canandaigua Outlet and Seneca Lake whenever I had spare time, and it made me appreciate what I had and to love the sport itself. Time is precious and fishing takes time and persistence as well as patience and these are very valuable things to learn. It is important to share useful information on this website but some discretion and judgement is useful as well. I don't divulge things that are told tome in confidence nor things that are the subject of PM's unless the person suggests or OK's it first and these are BIG LAKES and I don't think the "spot burning paranoia" mentality is particularly useful in this situation.

Edited by Sk8man

I agree Les and i changed my mind im going to keep posting all the info that i want to. I was just trying to keep the peace for one of my good friends but he said he doesnt care so either do i. The guys on this website you Les being one of them have been a wealth of knowledge for.me while i learned how to troll these lakes for trout and salmon. I feel that it is only right for me to post my knowlesge and how to for others to use. I have no problem with helping the next man catch a fish even in my favorite spot. Im not a greedy secretive fiaherman like that.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks guys! The fishing pole program has been a HUGE success! I put 16 poles and 16 small tackle boxes with some lures hooks and sinkers at the library 4 years ago. The program pretty much runs itself all I need to do is restock the boxes and retie hooks onto the pole once a week. Believe it or not at any give time during the fishing season there is maybe only one or two poles in the rack on any given day! The kids really use the heck out of those poles! It's been my dream to start a fishing camp for kids but unfortunately my job requires me to travel to often to devote the time.

Duck Killer

hey Tplatt do you need some more poles and reels? I have some old reels with zebcos'

and other stuff, that maybe you can fix up for the kids, easier to cast and learn with a push

button.

we can set something up and you can check them out. I have been hanging on to

them for just exactly something like this.. some are my dad's who passed many years ago..

and he will be grateful to help out.. let me know man Rick

I am located in Rochester

I'll bet many of us have some hooks and sinkers, line and casting spoons we don't use or need that could be donated to the cause. I'll have a look down cellarTim and maybe we can meet up for coffee or something

Tim - I scrounged up  quite a bit of line  from 4-17 lb, some sinkers and hooks and small bobbers and a few casting lures etc. so let me know where and when we can meet up. Hoping this may give others ideas. Les

post-145411-0-97677200-1393702666_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Hey guys I really appreciate all of this and I know the kids will to! While I read all the posts I can't help to wonder if all these donations wouldn't be better served starting a similar program at another library. Maybe Seneca or another one of the finger lakes. I know a few people in the DEC that will help promote it and push it through.

Let me know your thoughts!

Tim

Duck Killer