trout and salmon fishing

As far as the south shore goes the water seems to warm earlier in the western section of the lake (especially the extreme western part) so the salmon fish seem to congregate there as Salmon Slammin said then in mid summer when the lake starts setting up (temperature thermocline starts forming) they can be found at varying depths along the southern shore through the east end of the lake until late summer/early Fall when they will be found staging for their run up the Salmon River and other tribs or places were they were stocked or born (if adults). Juveniles may still be found just about any place including mixed in with the spawners. The action at the extreme western section is usually not as pronounced during that time because they haven't recently stocked the salmon in some of their former locations and many folks hope this stocking policy will change. The brown trout fishery starts in most areas right after ice out and they can be found hugging the shoreline and wherever there is a pronounced temp change in the water (warms quicker in shallows). They are often found at or near the mouthes of streams and at the edges of "color lines" or thermal breaks. Steelhead seem to be anyone's guess as many may be still in the streams in early Spring and then during the summer they may be found roaming the depths of the lake suspended. This has been my experience at least....and not necessarily "hard science" so others may have another view of it....

Edited by Sk8man

I agree with King Slammin, though I would extend his time frame through July and into Mid August on the west end.  King fishing in July out of Olcott is absolutely stellar and usually fairly close to shore.  Most years, I never leave 60-200 fow all July  By mid September, I'm long done with even fishing for those slimy brown mudhens.  I prefer catching them when they are silver, feeding, full of piss and vinegar and actually taste good.

Tim

Edited by Tim Bromund

As far as the south shore goes the water seems to warm earlier in the western section of the lake (especially the extreme western part) so the salmon fish seem to congregate there as Salmon Slammin said then in mid summer when the lake starts setting up (temperature thermocline starts forming) they can be found at varying depths along the southern shore through the east end of the lake until late summer/early Fall when they will be found staging for their run up the Salmon River and other tribs or places were they were stocked or born (if adults). Juveniles may still be found just about any place including mixed in with the spawners. The action at the extreme western section is usually not as pronounced during that time because they haven't recently stocked the salmon in some of their former locations and many folks hope this stocking policy will change. The brown trout fishery starts in most areas right after ice out and they can be found hugging the shoreline and wherever there is a pronounced temp change in the water (warms quicker in shallows). They are often found at or near the mouthes of streams and at the edges of "color lines" or thermal breaks. Steelhead seem to be anyone's guess as many may be still in the streams in early Spring and then during the summer they may be found roaming the depths of the lake suspended. This has been my experience at least....and not necessarily "hard science" so others may have another view of it....

Thanks, that was very very informative. Any ideas on a good charter boat and price ? from the sounds of it shore fishing is pretty good as the melt starts.

I disagree. The best time for feisty kings is may-June on the west end. The salmon are really feeding hard before the lake sets up. The offshore bite can be good all summer but becomes more hit and miss. On the east end the fall staging in September is a good time as well.

Could you give me a name of a town or fishing spot location ?  and what is the best lures or bait to use ? thanks,,much apreciated

You can find their web sites in the Instant report section.  there are links to most of them from both ends of the lake.   In the east end the kings are around from the end of July till they head up stream.

f.bishop as for charters on the south shore I can't advise since I'm on the north shore. Before you book with anyone I suggest you ask if they are agreeable to give out advice since you've decided to start fishing Lake O. I've run charters for 35 years and was always happy to give advice & suggestions. Once you get the boat out just make sure you have a VHF radio. One for safety & also getting info on where the fish are and what lure to use.

f.bishop as for charters on the south shore I can't advise since I'm on the north shore. Before you book with anyone I suggest you ask if they are agreeable to give out advice since you've decided to start fishing Lake O. I've run charters for 35 years and was always happy to give advice & suggestions. Once you get the boat out just make sure you have a VHF radio. One for safety & also getting info on where the fish are and what lure to use.

I may have gave the wrong impression, I have fished for many years just not for salmon or brown trout in a real lake. Thank you for the response and advice. Will do 

If you run a boat under 22 ft I'd recommend going out with Matt from wet net charters.  He fishes out of his lund year round and knows how to put fish in the boat.  That would give you a better idea of how to fish out of your own rig, assuming you have a smaller boat.  He'd be fishing the Niagra river this time of year (out of Lewiston).  He has helped me out over the years just shooting the breeze at the launches.  Also cost less than a bigger charter, if that matters to you.  All other mentioned charters will also put you into fish, just feel he'd be a better option for you if your looking to fish on your own down the road.  River fishing should be good right now (lakers, steelhead, browns) 

Be careful, this sport if very addicting....

If you run a boat under 22 ft I'd recommend going out with Matt from wet net charters.  He fishes out of his lund year round and knows how to put fish in the boat.  That would give you a better idea of how to fish out of your own rig, assuming you have a smaller boat.  He'd be fishing the Niagra river this time of year (out of Lewiston).  He has helped me out over the years just shooting the breeze at the launches.  Also cost less than a bigger charter, if that matters to you.  All other mentioned charters will also put you into fish, just feel he'd be a better option for you if your looking to fish on your own down the road.  River fishing should be good right now (lakers, steelhead, browns) 

Be careful, this sport if very addicting....

thanks for the info, I will definitely look into it. Money always matters,  

If you have a small boat ,take a trip up here in late April & run the shoreline w/ stickbaits  for browns if you have a small boat. Easy fishing in close w/ no need for a lot of equipment to get you started. Just need to pick good days of little wind.

If you can, run over to the leighvally sports show in allentown, Sat 1 Mar and Mar 2 and look

up Prime Time Pete, An excellent Charter Capt. He Charters out of Oswego, NY and is at

the sportshow now.

John

If you don't find what you need look me up. I will be fishing out of Olcott in June and out of Oak Orchard July and August. I still have a few weekends available if it needs to be a weekend. I don't mind sharing my 20-years of experience fish Lake Ontario. I fished from an 18' Lund for 7 of those years, a 20' Lund for another 7-years and now a 24' Hewescraft. You won't find a better fishery than Lake Ontario!

Sent from Day Break using my iPad using Lake Ontario United

If you can, run over to the leighvally sports show in allentown, Sat 1 Mar and Mar 2 and look

up Prime Time Pete, An excellent Charter Capt. He Charters out of Oswego, NY and is at

the sportshow now.

John just seen it, too late for me, thanks though

Ditto about Matt/Wet Net charters. He's always on the fish. One of the hardest working fisherman/captains I've ever seen. Works his butt off to put fish in the boat!!  Thats why he does so well in the tournaments.

• 2 weeks later...