asking for input on a canadian fishing trip this summer

Hi all,

I originally posted this in the fingerlakes section and someone recoemmended i post it here - that i would likely get a different set of eyes and opinions:

My buddy and i have decided to take our first fishing trip to canada this summer - most likely somewhere in Ontario or Quebec, but open to other possibilities. My first step of research is simply to ask you all for input. We want a wilderness experience and good fishing, and cost is an issue (not sure we can afford a fly). We want to do it ourselves (i.e., not a guided trip). Have any of you had trips up there you would recommend? Also, this summer, the only time we could go is june. If July or August is better (for example, black flies or something else i;m not aware of), we will likely postpone til next summer.

thanks for your input,

andre

French River Lodge in Ontario.  Walleye, pike and smallmouth.  You are on a 16 acre island with generator power until 11pm.  They pick you up by boat from Hartley Bay Marina.  There are some huge muskies caught up there in late summer and into fall. The one year we arrived to see a 54" musky being weighed at Hartley Bay marina.  We used to go up the last weekend of june or the first weekend of July and did really well.  It was a 8 hour drive from Rochester. 

Traditionally the 1st week in June is the best time for Walleye.  This year ice should be later so I would look at the second week in June.  Bass will not be open but Pike are biting in the bays.  For Lakes......endless supply.  The further and harder it is to get to.....the better the fishing.  Stay away from Algonquin Park as there are many lakes with acid issues.  The closest locations with good fishing would be as Brian suggested the French River system and Lake Nipising.   For Nipising I would want to bring my own rig (big water), otherwise, most outfits supply their own boats.

Fernleigh Lodge in eastern Ontario is a great place!  Walleye and pike are in the second Saturday in May and small mouth come in the third Saturday in June.  It's about a two hour drive from the Thousand Islands bridge.  You get your own cabin and can choose their meal plan or do your own cooking.  And you can bring your own boat or use one of theirs.  Very reasonable rates!!

Neil

This is just a suggestion but you may want to rent a houseboat and explore Lake of the Woods. One company is based in Kenora Ontario and I think they include a tin boat to run around the islands. You will need a good map and gps to explore with. There is bass, walleye, pike and musky everywhere and in a few special places lake trout. On the lake you can find both solitude and gourmet restaurants. Good luck with your choice.

jim

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Hey man, are you looking at a lodge or cabins? Or are you roughing it. I live an hr. North of toronto and my trips are in the sticks in a tent for the most part so i cant really recommend a lodge. I would say that you could look at the mnr website at a feature called fish on-line. It offers basic info on a lot of lakes including stocking and species present. Hope this helps

Tightlines

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Second on Gambler's recommendation.

I've gone to the French River Lodge some 20 times, and every May since 1995.  Going again this year.  

We don't target walleye, as we get our fill here at home...so we fish for northerns.   They are really pretty good

if you eat them fresh, but we release most.    Slot limits there have produced a great class of 18-21 inch fish, and

we do get the occasional larger one.

I know Gambler is right about the muskie in later summer...but its been a while since I've been there at that time.

Most of the time the black flies haven't been bad...enough open spaces....

John