Help on a fish finder/gps purchase

floatfisher

if you purchade s elite 7 and buy a good chip you will have invested yhe same money ss if you would hsve bought a hds7. hds is much better machine, higher resolutionand comes with quality maps and chart plotter. user friendly. ihave 2 of the hds7 models snd wouldn't be without them, good luck

Sent from my SCH-i705 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

google  "The hull truth"   Ive been resurching a GPS FISHFINDER this winter.

Transducers seem to have as much to do with their operation as the fishfinders themselves.

You can learn about the new chirp tecnology,downview ,sideview etc.

I was going to go with Furuno but the right map is 300 bucks.

Im going Garmin .Very reliable. The best maps. 

My choice of garmin units are...... I havent purchased yet.... Echomap 50s   or    Garmin 720s.

"Digital oasis" has the best prices.

I am in the same situation, Furuno 1670 or 1870 but after transducer and mappping software cost climbed

Deciding factor was 1670 and 1870 are horizontal displays and narrow

This week ended up ordering the Garmin echomap 50DV it's a 5" screen but a verticle 5"

I am in the same situation, Furuno 1670 or 1870 but after transducer and mappping software cost climbed

Deciding factor was 1670 and 1870 are horizontal displays and narrow

This week ended up ordering the Garmin echomap 50DV it's a 5" screen but a verticle 5"

The Garmin echoMAP 50dv has a 5-inch display, which provides VGA-quality imaging. Built into the echoMAP 50dv is Garmin’s trademarked High-Definition Identification target tracking technology. Better known as HD-ID, it provides a super clear image of the area under the boat. Garmin echoMap 50dv combines HD-ID with the DownVü scanning sonar, which provides a virtually photographic view of structure in the water.

The built-in GPS receiver on the Garmin echoMAP 50dv has a speed of 10 Hz which allows it to update position 10 times a second. The higher update frequency results in more fluid boat movement display. Also included is sonar-recording capability for coordinating the timing of the sonar return with your boat’s position. You can playback your sonar recording on a PC with HomePort software or send it wirelessly to an Apple device equipped with BlueChart Mobile software.

The Garmin echoMAP 50dv comes pre-loaded LakeVu HD map package, which provides details of 17,000-plus US lakes; or the BlueChart g2 coastal map package. The 50dv is capable of storing up to 5,000 waypoints and 100 routes. It also has a track log capacity of 50,000 points, with 50 saved tracks. The unit is equipped with two microSD cards for expanding the built-in flash memory and additional cartography. Garmin echoMAP 50dv comes with the transducer, power and data cable, tilt and swivel mount, flush mount, protective cover, and a user manual

My Garmin 50 DV arrived today so I went right to hooking it up.

I was less than pleased to find the transducer only has a 20' cable. I checked around for an extension and they are $90 for 10' extension cable and no one had one in stock

I was ready to pack it up and return it but I called Garmin and spoke to customer service ( got right thru no waiting on hold) I told them of my displeasure and They are sending me out the extension free of charge!

This was one of the reasons I chose Garmin 1st rate customer service!

I'll report back after I use it a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I am responding to my own post. I just ordered a echomap 50DV with lake maps.

I spoke directly with Gil from the hulltruth. He says you will be able to operate the

50 right out of the box. Ive seen some screen shots of the downview and they are

impressive.If all goes well Ill add sideview in the future. 

Gil is just about the most trustworthy guy there is to help you find what is right for you. He runs Semperfi fishing.

He was  a  marine fighter plane pilot in the Vietnam war (Phantom)

So I currently have a Humminbird 597 without down imaging.  I just got an Raymarine EV200 autopilot and its runs NMEA 2000 and my current Humminbird doesnt - would require extra cables and a $200 translator.  I was taking a look at the Garmin 50dv - do you think it is a good one to go with for Great Lakes fishing?  I could sell my humming bird and use the cash towards the Garmin and I'd be almost at the same prices as trying to convert the NMEA signal on my Humminbird.  

I do think it is a good one for Great Lakes fishing,I only have one day behind it but am happy with features and function.

Garmin customer service is also some thing that impressed me. That's as much as I can say to this point ...so far so good and I'm quiet pleased with my chose of the 50 DV

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app