Lest expensive way to get an autopilot system

bassman69767

I do a fair amount of fishing by myself an an autopilot would make life much easier for me. Are there any inexpensive systems out there? I have an 18 foot Lund with a Honda 130 on it. I troll with that motor and don't run a kicker.

I fished with a guy one time that had one and I think it would be very helpful for me. His was an older one that ran off of a compass heading. It had a small motor that was attached to the steering wheel. Do the newer ones run through GPS?

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD

Have your kid go or you're neighbor's kid and buy them an ice cream on the way home.

Newer ones run off a fluxgate electronic style compass and use a computer to send adjustments to the drive motor.

Sent from my thinking chair...

Edited by Chas0218

I've got a Raymarine on my 18 foot Lund Alaskan. $2000 off ebay and I installed it myself.

It's great but AP on a light boat isn't good in wind or waves at trolling speed. It's invaluble for setting up or picking up gear when conditions are good though. Other than that, I rarely use it.

At speeds over 5 mph it works nice.

It's a big investment but worth it if you fish alone a lot. Cheap it ain't!!

Sent from my XT556 using Tapatalk 2

Cheapest thing you can do is get your uncle out there an keep on him about when and where to turn/point the boat.  I have found setting lines directly into the waves or straight down wind is easiest for novice trollers.  Just this year I bought an autopilot because I fish alone a lot and is tough with a cross wind to set a manual rigger stacked.  I started with just dipsys and they were easy by myself but manual riggers make it tough.

Edited by Chas0218

I've also fished a lot by myself but I learned a long time ago to set up my stuff going WITH the wind and waves and then just carefully turn back into it with everything already set out (instead of fighting it trying to set up). trying to net a fish going into the wind/waves alone with everyhting out however is another matter! :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

For sure, sometimes the shoreline winds up on the wrong side of the boat by the time the rigging is done!!   big mess! :envy:

I have had that happen more than once. Almost T-boned another boat once too, while she was taking pictures. When fishing with your wife, it  is probably best to use an actual auto pilot!

Raymarine SportPilot in my 165 Alumacraft. Simrad 14 in my Islander. Can not imagine fishing w/out an AP. You learn what they can can & can't do but to be honest w/ you there isn't much they can't do especially if you run a set of Auroralite boards which really help to stabilize smaller boats (and let you run more lines!)

The newest Raymarine for cable steered boats is the Raymarine EV-200 Sport Pilot

Model number is Raymarine EV-200 Sport Pilot

Can be found online for around $1775

Its the one that will be going on my 25ft boat in Spring....thats if Spring ever comes.

i saw on long island craigs list a few days ago a guy was selling a raymarine s 1000 for 700 bucks brand new in the box.thts a pretty good deal if it will work on your boat.

If you want to troll with your autopilot then make sure it will operate at those low speeds. My experience is that not to many AP's work well at speeds below 3mph. A fluxsgate compass is a must for trolling speeds.

Not to discourage you but I don't think the S1000 will work at slow speeds. That may or may not matter to you.

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Just google what you are planning on buying there is tons of info on the S1000 units. I have seen where the s1000 units work great for some trolling and others they didn't it is all about the setup.  The s1000 units are old and I doubt if you have issues you can get new parts.