in-line planers on a Bigjon mast

Hi everyone, just got a  Bigjon dual reel mast given to me from a good friend. Thanks Craig. Was looking at the folding planer boards but started wondering if anyone has ever tried using in-line planers on a mast. Just trying to save some room on the boat. Has anyone tried it or any guidance will be appreciated. Thanks everyone.

Inline planers like walleye boards or offshore boards? I don't see what the purpose would be. Maybe if you were using larger boards like tx44's to pull lighter rigs like short leadcores or coppers, if you try to pull too much weight on any of the inline boards they're just going to get pulled back from all the weight. Better off just running the inline boards as inline boards and not using the mast or using big boards off a mast.

I second Zack's advice. If it is space on the boat you want to save just go with inlines....the TX 44's are a good choice for running most stuff....

I don't know what your rig looks like but, If you don't like having the mast then, go with in-lines.  I have a 175 Alumacraft and use both.  The big boards during the spring for browns and then the in-lines later in the year for coppers, etc...  I like having the in-lines because they are easier to reset with coppers and cores IMO.  If you are going to use the big boards to pull long coppers make sure you get a set that pulls hard and can handle the weight, like otter boats ( can add second keel if you like).

If you intend to use inline boards instead of big boards you could do that. They just will not allow you to run the heavier lines,but in spring for brown trout with just line and and stick bait they would work fine,except that they will be very hard to see which may cause some trouble with spring brown trout combat fishing.

Thanks everyone for the info. Just to let everyone know i am not a fan of inline planer connected directly to my fishing line, thats why I was hoping to use on my Bigjon mast. I dont use copper or lead core line at all. The planers are used only in the spring for the shallow browns and when I can make it out to Erie to chase the walleyes. 

Curious how would you set up what is supposed to be run in line, on a mast?

It would be just like a regular board with line, but with the fishing line attached with rubberbands or something simular to the board and the fishing line giving the board its angle. When the fish hits ,the line pops lose and then the board no longer pulls sideways but lines up behind the stern ( which is a pain in the butt).

Edited by rolmops

As i mentioned above the Church TX 44's allow you to run most heavier lines and they are just about as easily seen with flags up as conventional boards and other than with real big waves and you probably wouldn't want to run boards then anyway even if they do cut through the water OK.

It would be just like a regular board with line, but with the fishing line attached with rubberbands or something simular to the board and the fishing line giving the board its angle. When the fish hits ,the line pops lose and then the board no longer pulls sideways but lines up behind the stern ( which is a pain in the butt).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this dude wants to use a Church board as a planer attached to a mast line and it would no longer serve as an in-line board. Instead it would be a very tiny Beetlejuice board instead of a big board such as a Cannon or Otter board. I'm still trying to grasp the concept, but then he would run the fishing lines off the line going to this little board?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this dude wants to use a Church board as a planer attached to a mast line and it would no longer serve as an in-line board. Instead it would be a very tiny Beetlejuice board instead of a big board such as a Cannon or Otter board. I'm still trying to grasp the concept, but then he would run the fishing lines off the line going to this little board?

I do not see how such a small board could hold course if any lines are attached to the tow line, the only way to do it would be by having the both the tow line and the fishing line attached to the board with the back pull of the lure helping to create an angle which would normally be done by the weight and angle of the bigger boards

If you just want it for spring browns go with the big boards, for the reasons mentioned above. Obviously the boards wont take up any space on your boat because they will be out in the water. You fight the fish not the board, and they show up better in traffic.  Being you haven't run copper or core I think that if you do decide to try it, you might be better of running it off an inline.  Its easier to manage when you are first starting out with that type of presentation, especially when resetting lines.  I run the TX 44's and they pull great.  I ran 450 coppers on them last year with no issues at all.  Being that you are a walleye guy I'm sure know already that the bigger inline boards sometimes make it harder to read you board if there is a small fish on it, like those little shaker perch or white bass you pick up on Erie running harnesses. Just my .02 cents.