Wiring New Downriggers

I just got 3 Scotty 1106 downriggers and I'm going to mount them on my boat.  Does each downrigger need to be wired on a home run back to the battery or can they be wired in series so that I only have one wire going back to the batteries?  I'm thinking  I'll use a #10 wire.  Any input would be apprediated.

Here is what I would do.

Buy a 5 blade fuse block - like the ones that BlueSea systems makes.  Run wires from your battery (or battery switch/selector) to the fuse holder.  Wire each rigger to the fuse block.  This way each rigger has its own fuse, plus you can wire other stuff in the back of the boat to the fuse block.  You can also wire in a switch to turn off the riggers.  That way if you just going out for a cruise, kids wont flip the up/down on your rigger and ruin an entire spool of wire....dont ask me how I know about that one :)

I'm fairly sure you will need to run each rigger individually to either a fuse panel or the batteries. Keep you wiring as short as possible also. The riggers draw a considerable amount of current, I don't see parallel working for you, my opinion. I agree with Vetting on the fuse block, much cleaner install.

I used one of these except in an 8 blade style.

http://www.bluesea.com/products/5025/ST_Blade_Fuse_Block_-_6_Circuits_with_Negative_Bus_and_Cover

The other nice thing is what you can do depending on your rigger power draw, you put in a small amp fuse and the fuse will blow right away if there is something wrong.  For instance, if there is a hang up with your dr ball and you dont have the clutch set just right.  Instead of stripping your gears, you just blow a 50 cent fuse. 

Whatever way you choose, each rigger should have its own fuse. 

Edited by vetting

This wiring diagram is what I had in mind

attachicon.gifWiring Diagram.jpg

I see an issue here - your common positive to your battery needs to have the appropriate gauge wire (or a common fuse between the riggers and battery) so that it can handle the draw of all three riggers. Otherwise this could be a fire hazard.

It's the same as if you wired all three to a common buss bar (each rigger fused separately) and the common wire coming from the buss bar to your battery switch needs to be of adequate gauge to handle the load.

Good luck,

Chris

I see an issue here - your common positive to your battery needs to have the appropriate gauge wire (or a common fuse between the riggers and battery) so that it can handle the draw of all three riggers. Otherwise this could be a fire hazard.

It's the same as if you wired all three to a common buss bar (each rigger fused separately) and the common wire coming from the buss bar to your battery switch needs to be of adequate gauge to handle the load.

Good luck,

Chris

I emailled Scotty and they just responded.  They told me the same thing that you said.  They told me that I need one more fuse within 7" of the battery

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up wiring each downrigger back to the battery individually with a #10 wire. I originally wanted to wire them in series because I mounted them on a board and I wanted it to be removable. Everything worked out well and I think it was best to wire them individually and keep the wires out side of my mounting board. post-153336-13951063996011_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Nice clean wiring setup. I've been looking at some type of a "plug and unplug" setup like that for my boat since it doubles as a pleasure craft.

What kind of plugs did you use on the male and female ends and do you like how they worked out?

Nice clean wiring setup. I've been looking at some type of a "plug and unplug" setup like that for my boat since it doubles as a pleasure craft.

What kind of plugs did you use on the male and female ends and do you like how they worked out?

They were the plugs that came with the Scotty Downriggers.  They are a two prong twist lock plug.  It is really a nice system.  So far I'm impressed with the Scotty's. 

keep the wires out side of my mounting board. attachicon.gif

I like the looks of your rigger board, is that a custom made? I need to do the same and span across the back but none of the big name guys will say their track will span 7.5' unsupported. I'd love to see a couple more pics of it, thanks

Edited by scobar

I like the looks of your rigger board, is that a custom made? I need to do the same and span across the back but none of the big name guys will say their track will span 7.5' unsupported. I'd love to see a couple more pics of it, thanks

I made it my self. Here's the link to the thread about it with more pictures: http://www.lakeontariounited.com/fishing-hunting/topic/39145-downrigger-mounting-board/#entry276484

Check out Marinco.com. I used their ConnectPro plugs for my Big Jons. Works out great when it comes time to take the riggers off the boat.

ShareThis Copy and Paste

- See more at: http://www.marinco.com/en/products/connect/trolling-systems/2-wire#sthash.0avRccsg.dpuf

Check out Marinco.com. I used their ConnectPro plugs for my Big Jons. Works out great when it comes time to take the riggers off the boat.

2 Wire ConnectPro® Charging/Trolling/Downrigger

- See more at: http://www.marinco.com/en/products/connect/trolling-systems/2-wire#sthash.0avRccsg.dpuf

Those are the ecact plugs I used in the pictures of my board set up.  They are what came with the Scotty's

Yes, those are the stock plugs on the Scottys now.  Those are on my 2116's.  The older style plugs that came on my 1116's back in 2003 were no problem, but I really like the twist locking feature on these.

Tim

• 1 month later...

I am trying to rig 2 big jon electric downriggers on my boat. They recommend a buss bar between battery and riggers, Is a buss bar a fuse also or do I need a fuse in addition to it.? They never said I needed both, What is the purpose of a buss bar or is it just for convenience? Im just wondering if there is any type of fuse built in it. The other thing is nobody local has them. Ive tried every autoparts store, gander, and marina and nobody carries them. I guess I will have to order online. Thanks.

BP Swing. West marine Carries blue Sea fuse panel. I bought 100 amp 6 fuse box and there slick. Ran from battery to the fuse box then make all your connections there. My cannon called for 30 amp fuses. So I had 2 riggers , x4, lowrance, and radar and have one open slot. Best and easiest way to protect your equipment. Roughly $50 for panel box. Can find them on line around $35 if your not in a hurry.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Lake Ontario United mobile app