Stainless Steel

johncole

Has anyone done any bending of Stainless steel tubing? I have a bunch of old SS tubing off of an old boat that I would like to bend up and turn into a mount for some pole holders off of my Bimini frame. Just curious before I go out and get a tubing bender to work on it.

It seems that S/S tubing would be difficult to bend by hand. You might want to try the different fitting that they make in a wide varity of angles. That is what I did to make my rocket launcher rod holder.

Often a table "jig" is made to assist in the process of getting accurate bends as well as a mechanical or handheld bender used to prevent "folding" at the bends. Sometimes if the steel has a high nickel content (there are various grades of hardness in ss) it will be much more difficult to bend and careful heat treating is needed to prevent damage to the material. Helps to have the right equipment to do it right.

Edited by Sk8man

well seeing I didn't have to pay for any of it, I can't see where would hurt to give it a shot, I got a couple of tips on how to cut down on kinks and what not and I'm just hazarding a guess but seeing it is off and OLD boat that it is of the harder material so this adventure should be interesting, hope it works cause it will save a ton of money. At least now I know it can be done, so thanks all for you advice and help, I'll let you all know how it works out.