Where's there a good place for crappies for ice fishing

jameson1

Not being a wise guy but good luck on getting any answers to that question... Thats like knowing someone has found av gold mine and then asked them for directions on how to get there... Crappie fisherman are very secretive on there spots so the best thing I can tell you is to get on the hard water and do some moving around just before night fall and you may find a few here and there and when you do especially if there slabs I bet you dont tell anyone either... lol

Mike

Mike

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Tough to say where around you might be good, because I don't know where you are. Around me, Honeoye and Silver lakes can produce, and last year Conesus was good but not so much this year. The Lake Ontario bays get a decent influx of fish in the spring. Try in 8-10 fow near weeds. Schools come and go. Good luck.

As Gator mentioned we don't know where you are located so it is hard to respond (don't even know if NYS). In the Rochester area lakes where crappies are present they often are found at this time of year on relatively level stretches of bottom areas called "basins" and usually in about the 20-30 ft.depths but they soon will be moving to shallow water usually just before or during "ice out". You may catch an occasional one mixed in with bluegills and sunfish in shallow throughout the ice fishing season but often they will be marginal or small sized and only singles or maybe 2 or 3 in number at most. The main "herds" will be deeper and often most actively feeding during reduced light conditions or changing light (dawn or dusk or sometimes at night). They love waxworms and minnows and seem to respond better to them than spikes and mousies most of the time. Small to medium sized jigs seem to work best. Schools of crappies may sometimes be found near schools of perch and "accidentally" stumbled upon.Things may be different on small ponds etc. Mike is right too...you are very unlikely to get specific spot information from anyone. It is kind of like the issue with "spot burning" in stream fishing or even "gold mining" :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

• 3 weeks later...

Well thanks for the info guys, any bit helps.. I totally understand about people not wanting to give up spots an all.. when the ice is gone I've got no problem finding them when the water warms that's easy.. its the hard water for crappie I've gotta figure out.. like I said any bit helps an thanks again guys.. I knew it would be a long shot.. I'm from Seneca falls, ny

On Cayuga (near you)  try right at and after ice out in front at the State Park at north end at dusk through out early evening with fatheads on jigs (bobber). I'm thinking the ice is no good at this point.

Edited by Sk8man

• 7 months later...

If I might add my two cents, I agree with everything the Sk8man has said, and I would like to add to it.  Good elecronics is vital in finding ice crappies, i.e Vexilar, Marcum, etc., as they almost always suspend in the water column.  I have had my best luck with glow jigs in reds and oranges, tipped with small fathead minnows, under floats.  Waxworms work on an actively jigged rod, as well.  The electronics not only let you know where to set your float, but can also help by showing you what mood the fish are in.  When the fish marks move quickly up to your bait and hit fast, they are very aggressive, and so on.  Hope this helps.  Thanks. :yes:

• 4 months later...