The news reports make it sound like there will be ice on the lake until June. We keep hearing that there's a record amount of ice on the Great Lakes and I wonder how much more ice than usual is on lake Ontario ?

Last nights news report said 90% of the Great Lakes are frozen and there's more cold air coming down from Canada.

Edited by fishingjeff

Right now the ice in Mexico bay is out as far as you can see. But that will all change when we get a wind shift. Going to be a cold early Bt season!!!

Capt Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I find it interesting that a number of these reports keep saying that the reason that Lake Ontario remains "open" is because it is so deep but Lake Superior is far deeper and the volume is much much greater....my hunch is it is because of currents (i.e. moving subsurface water) in Lake Ontario stemming from the fact that it is hooked to the St Lawrence and Hudson at the eastern section and the Welland Canal etc. to the west.

I find it interesting that a number of these reports keep saying that the reason that Lake Ontario remains "open" is because it is so deep but Lake Superior is far deeper and the volume is much much greater....my hunch is it is because of currents (i.e. moving subsurface water) in Lake Ontario stemming from the fact that it is hooked to the St Lawrence and Hudson at the eastern section and the Welland Canal etc. to the west.

are you trying to say there's more water coming from Welland than the Niagara .....not an attack just surprises me you'd pick the shipping lane over the mighty Niagara  ???     1/5 of all the fresh water in the WORLD flushes in one end and out the other.  Want to try and explain one tell me your thoughts on Seneca ?

Edited by Lund SSS

There's no way it's from the Welland Canal. Lund is right, and I also think it's common sense that Lake Superior is farther north so it gets colder and freezes quicker.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014/02/17/great_lakes_nearly_freeze_over_completely.html

You have to look at the temp transects of the two lakes to compare.  Superior stays cooler all summer so it starts cooler come late fall cooling period.  There was 48 degree water mid-lake as late as early January on Ontario. 

Lake Superior has more surface area exposed so it freezes over.  The smaller surface area of Lake Ontario you would think would cause it to freeze over, but the heat (even if it is in the 30's or 40's) caused by the deep water is more focused on the smaller opening.  Basically the deeper water keeps its heat because it has less surface area exposed.  

Then again I could be wrong.

Was up at Sandy Creek Sunday and took a look at the lake....some broken ice for 50-70 yards out from shore, but the rest of the lake was open.

Looks like long range models have the weather starting to moderate a bit by end of March....so hopefully the deep freeze is over.