Giants of 2013!

Legacy

Well since it seems like winter will never end....here are some big ones from 2012 and 2013 from Lake Michigan out of Milwaukee.

Biggest fish of 2012

- 26lb laker caught on a dispsy that was smacking the bottom.  Took 20 min to get in it in - basically had to wait for it to bite the big one to get it in. 

post-151912-0-79061400-1394594315_thumb.jpg

Biggest fish of 2013

- 25lb king - we caught about 6 of them all around the same size

post-151912-0-42866800-1394594311_thumb.jpg

And as long as I'm at it - here is my story of my solo triple from 2013 out of Milwaukee.

Must have been magic in the air tonight because I had the most insane thing happen on the boat tonight. Launched around 7:00pm out of Milwaukee for a solo trip. Usually I don't hold too much hope for a solo trip with only 3 rods in the water, but thought it was worth a shot given that a 36lb fish was landed today. The dog was on the boat, but he cant steer or net fish so he isn't much help emoticon-0100-smile.gif

Set up in 70ft of water and headed on a NE troll towards the towers. The 3 rods were:

Downrigger with a 11" Coyote double pearl flasher with a Poseidon 50/50 frog fly on it set 60 ft down

Wire dipsey (124 clear walker) with a Moonshine magnum RV blue flounder pounder - 110 on counter.

7 color lead core on a board with a bent to crap medium size UV warrior spoon.

Set everything on the same side of the boat. Trolled out to 105 and then cut back to 95ft...then the magic happened. The wire dispey started peeling out line. Right when I grabbed it out of the rod holder the lead core starts ripping line out. Im thinking to myself, how am I going to manage netting a dipsy by myself in the dusk without making a tangle mess in the lead core peeling out. So I set the drag a bit tighter on the board to hold the 2nd fish somewhat steady. I then start reeling in the dipsy and get it wrapped around the downrigger line. I somehow free it and see the downrigger start to bounce. I thought with the 11" paddle and the fact that I just knocked it pretty good, it was just a misfire. I get the first fish in the boat on the dipsy, a 11 lb 31" rainbow. I get it out of the net and then get to work on the leadcore. As Im cranking that one in, the down rigger starts to bounce some more....yeah it was no false release - it was an official triple. I land the fish from the lead core - a 13lb king and throw that one on the deck. At this point there is fish slime, rods all over, and fish flopping around. This is all while the dog is going crazy licking 2 fish and pushing them around the deck. I then go to get the downrigger rod and start to work on that one. At this point I think its going to be a miracle to actually land a triple by myself without losing it or taking a digger due to the rods and slime everywhere. I finally get the downrigger fish in the net - a 7 lb king. At this point Im thinking...did this really happen. All of this was done while giving a play by play on the radio to the rest of the folks fishing out there tonight. Probably the craziest thing I've ever have happen and still cant believe they all made it into the boat. By the time I got everything untangled, got the fish in the box, and cleaned up the slime it was officially dark out. Trolled about another hour and then called it a night.

post-151912-0-84017300-1394595084_thumb.jpg

And as long as I'm at it - here is my story of my solo triple from 2013 out of Milwaukee.

Must have been magic in the air tonight because I had the most insane thing happen on the boat tonight. Launched around 7:00pm out of Milwaukee for a solo trip. Usually I don't hold too much hope for a solo trip with only 3 rods in the water, but thought it was worth a shot given that a 36lb fish was landed today. The dog was on the boat, but he cant steer or net fish so he isn't much help emoticon-0100-smile.gif

Set up in 70ft of water and headed on a NE troll towards the towers. The 3 rods were:

Downrigger with a 11" Coyote double pearl flasher with a Poseidon 50/50 frog fly on it set 60 ft down

Wire dipsey (124 clear walker) with a Moonshine magnum RV blue flounder pounder - 110 on counter.

7 color lead core on a board with a bent to crap medium size UV warrior spoon.

Set everything on the same side of the boat. Trolled out to 105 and then cut back to 95ft...then the magic happened. The wire dispey started peeling out line. Right when I grabbed it out of the rod holder the lead core starts ripping line out. Im thinking to myself, how am I going to manage netting a dipsy by myself in the dusk without making a tangle mess in the lead core peeling out. So I set the drag a bit tighter on the board to hold the 2nd fish somewhat steady. I then start reeling in the dipsy and get it wrapped around the downrigger line. I somehow free it and see the downrigger start to bounce. I thought with the 11" paddle and the fact that I just knocked it pretty good, it was just a misfire. I get the first fish in the boat on the dipsy, a 11 lb 31" rainbow. I get it out of the net and then get to work on the leadcore. As Im cranking that one in, the down rigger starts to bounce some more....yeah it was no false release - it was an official triple. I land the fish from the lead core - a 13lb king and throw that one on the deck. At this point there is fish slime, rods all over, and fish flopping around. This is all while the dog is going crazy licking 2 fish and pushing them around the deck. I then go to get the downrigger rod and start to work on that one. At this point I think its going to be a miracle to actually land a triple by myself without losing it or taking a digger due to the rods and slime everywhere. I finally get the downrigger fish in the net - a 7 lb king. At this point Im thinking...did this really happen. All of this was done while giving a play by play on the radio to the rest of the folks fishing out there tonight. Probably the craziest thing I've ever have happen and still cant believe they all made it into the boat. By the time I got everything untangled, got the fish in the box, and cleaned up the slime it was officially dark out. Trolled about another hour and then called it a night.

attachicon.giftriple.jpg

Nice job Vetting, a solo triple is a heck of a feat.  We had back to back triples in about a total of a 1/2 hour, one day last spring with just Dad and me in the boat and somehow managed to land all 6.

Tim

thanks! Id definitely recommend everyone to try for them at least once it is amazing watching them jump with their long body! And the size of their head is crazy!

Sent from my C811 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 2 weeks later...