What's up with prices at Gander Mountain?

I was in Gander a few days ago looking for some A-Tom-Mik Flies.

They had them priced at $9.95. Across the street Dick's has them priced at $7.49

Makes me wonder about other prices at Gander. Do I have to price check everything before buying at Gander??

Gander prices are high on everything .  I don't know why anyone shops there ?  Even the things they put on sale are higher than other stores reg. prices  There used gun prices are nuts too.  jmho.   I can't wait for the new Cabelas to open in Cheek. N.Y.

If we were only able to get a Bass Pro too.....

Bass pro is no better where prices are concerned.

Much as I hate to admit , I buy most of my line at Walmart because they are 2 or 3 dollars cheaper per 100 yards of the same product,same goes for stuff like m5200

The truth is that salmon trolling really is very much a little fringe thing for Gander Mountain  and not where their profits are made, so they jack up the prices in order to keep it profitable

Edited by rolmops

By from the local guys direct. There should be no need for big stores when it comes to buying spoons and flies as the best ones are made local.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Kinda interesting in that I have heard that both Gander and Dicks are same company.  I have found both lacking in terms of staff knowledge and price not to mention stock in store.    I agree with orangediablo that an on line search will often find the cheapest price.

Gander's prices are 95% of the time higher than Dicks, that goes for fishing gear and hunting stuff. Personally, i buy my stuff at the local shops in mexico /pulaski area. 1.) i'd rather give the business to a local guy than a huge conglomerate and 2.) the prices are usually better.

Hell I even got gift cards for that place that I cant get rid of because I cant ever find anything I want!! Havent been there in a couple years and dint plan on ever goin back! I agree 100% on supporting the local guys and shops.

I try to buy everything I can locally but sometimes places like Walmart (as much as I hate them) when you're away from cities/malls are necessary in a pinch.

Kinda interesting in that I have heard that both Gander and Dicks are same company. I have found both lacking in terms of staff knowledge and price not to mention stock in store. I agree with orangediablo that an on line search will often find the cheapest price.

Well, there you go, it figures Dicks is terrible, ive got more tackle in my boat than they have in any of their stores.I told them once that they had the right name (Dicks), but they should drop the word "sporting goods" from it.

Gander mtn and dicks are NOT the same company. Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

They should be!  They both know nothing about carrying what big lake fishermen want and need! 

I don't know but I have gotten some GREAT deals on tackle at  Dicks. My fave place to buy rods& reels . They mark them down & then marks them down again. I like their Field & Stream rods for Bass & Pike.

They have an OK selection of Lake tackle . Can't be everything to everybody.

The "Big Box Stores" do their purchasing of stock without any input of "local knowledge" that your nearby tackle dealer has. Hot lures are there, not at the "Big Box" where the sales team has no input in stocking requested by customers for lures that are wanted. Save your money and shop where it will produce fish, not an empty wallet.

Gander mtn and dicks are NOT the same company. Dicks does in fact own field and stream stores. Dicks also owns golf galaxy (which is really thier golf section in the store)... I agree buy it local

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

A few years ago I read that one of the other had bought the other but were going to keep the names/corps but maybe I am entirely wrong or misinformed.  In either case I have found high prices and lack of selection.

I have tried to buy local but have given up and now buy almost all my tackle on the web.   I do find Walmart a valuable resource on occasion  but try not to buy there because I don't like their labor practices.