Fishing in Florida

HI group. I am looking for some help and info on fishing and living in the Venice Florida area. Going down in a couple of weeks to check things out and could use a heads up. Also any good web sites would be great. Thanks in advance

Dave

hey bud check out my buddy ocean obsession went out with him about 5 weeks ago had a great time u can do his party boat for about 80 or 85 a head includes every thing including your license or u can do a private for 800 bucks we caught a ton of fish you would love it 

My Dad lives at Bird Bay in Venice. I go down there once in a while & enjoy the fishing there. If I were you the first place I would try is the North Jetty . The Sheephead should be in Big time then . The Best way I have found to fish for them is live shrimp . I use a 9' pier spin rod . 20 # pwer pro & 20 # Vanish leader . Size 4 hook ,a good size shot  & wtd Popping cork.4-6' down & let it drift W / tidal current by rocks. You can see the schools if water is clear. They get prettty big & are fun to catch. Mixed in are snapper, snook , redfish , lady fishCrevale Jacks, Pompano & Spannish mackrel ,that will cut you off. Worst part are the barrnacles  rock that if you get snaged up , Kiss it good by. You need the big rod to haul fish over the rocks. Their mouths are supper hard so bring pliers & xtra hooks.

I also like to jig w/ a 1/4 -1/2 oz white buctail or Pompano Jig.   a piece of shrimp. 7 ' med action spin 10# poer pro & 20 # floro leader. I do that on the South Jetty Ocean side when tide is going out . Have Fun.

hey bud check out my buddy ocean obsession went out with him about 5 weeks ago had a great time u can do his party boat for about 80 or 85 a head includes every thing including your license or u can do a private for 800 bucks we caught a ton of fish you would love it 

Is this your buddy ? dave

http://fishobsession.com/

My Dad lives at Bird Bay in Venice. I go down there once in a while & enjoy the fishing there. If I were you the first place I would try is the North Jetty . The Sheephead should be in Big time then . The Best way I have found to fish for them is live shrimp . I use a 9' pier spin rod . 20 # pwer pro & 20 # Vanish leader . Size 4 hook ,a good size shot  & wtd Popping cork.4-6' down & let it drift W / tidal current by rocks. You can see the schools if water is clear. They get prettty big & are fun to catch. Mixed in are snapper, snook , redfish , lady fishCrevale Jacks, Pompano & Spannish mackrel ,that will cut you off. Worst part are the barrnacles  rock that if you get snaged up , Kiss it good by. You need the big rod to haul fish over the rocks. Their mouths are supper hard so bring pliers & xtra hooks.

I also like to jig w/ a 1/4 -1/2 oz white buctail or Pompano Jig.   a piece of shrimp. 7 ' med action spin 10# poer pro & 20 # floro leader. I do that on the South Jetty Ocean side when tide is going out . Have Fun.

Thanks Has Been. Some good info. I have a lot of things to ck out when I go down but want to get some fishing in. When you say the North Jetty is this shore fishing or pier ? Sounds like a lot of fun ! Can't wait to get down there. Thanks Dave

It is a public pier . There is a nice beach north for a long way. Google earth it to see  . I like to get on the end of the jetty & fish on a few of the rocks . On the south jetty I fish mostly on the Gulf side & bounce tipped jigs off bottom .You will need a bait bucket for your shrimp  to change water.

It is a public pier . There is a nice beach north for a long way. Google earth it to see  . I like to get on the end of the jetty & fish on a few of the rocks . On the south jetty I fish mostly on the Gulf side & bounce tipped jigs off bottom .You will need a bait bucket for your shrimp  to change water.

Thanks Has Been greatly appreciated :yes: 

I've also been on the Miss Pass-a-grille, a party boat, a couple times now. Capt Randy and Brooklyn/Rich run it out of St. Pete Beach, probably about an hour from Venice. Caught a pile of fish each time and the crew keeps it interesting too.

I've also been on the Miss Pass-a-grille, a party boat, a couple times now. Capt Randy and Brooklyn/Rich run it out of St. Pete Beach, probably about an hour from Venice. Caught a pile of fish each time and the crew keeps it interesting too.

Thanks Andy :yes:

Try BigMikesForum.com. He reports on the Skyway piers which are not too far from Venice. Also FloridaSportsman.com. Lots of info from around the state. I live in Jacksonville when I'm not in New York and have a daughter that lives in Tampa. Spend some time on the Skyway piers, the fishing can be incredible at times.

• 2 weeks later...

Captain joe miller, fish galore offshore out of Venice. Don't waste your time on the party boats.

Thanks tmdroc I have heard pros and cons about the party boats. Guess you get what you pay for like any other place. I will ck out Captain Joe miller when I get down there.  Dave

ur welcome magic7777. Ive been going to Port Charlotte for a long time. Will be there in April & May, the fishing gets real good there in the spring. Venice is real nice, We visit there a lot by car and boat through the inter coastal.  

ur welcome magic7777. Ive been going to Port Charlotte for a long time. Will be there in April & May, the fishing gets real good there in the spring. Venice is real nice, We visit there a lot by car and boat through the inter coastal.  

pjumper you have a PM. Thanks Dave